Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

Get NTFS back from ext4

Hi
    I tried installing Ubuntu 11.04 on a 3 year old laptop. It works great, but now my wife need that laptop.
    And she don't like Ubuntu/Linux at all so...
    So I tried to put in the DVD from Microsoft (XP pro, XP Home & Win 7 tried & have the orginal keys for each one of them) but it can't find the HDD.
    Tried also to use the HDD's program from manufacter to write zeroes to the whole disk but nope, no disk can be found.
    Is there any way I can reformat this disk back ti NTFS again?

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    If you can boot from the original XP install CD it should work. You may need to go into the BIOS to enable this. Have you tried pressing F8 (Or whatever triggers this laptop to go into the boot menu.)as the laptop boots?
    Maybe the make and model of the laptop will trigger someone who knows for sure.
    Do you "Believe"? Do you vote? Please Read:
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    DETAIL in your question promotes DETAIL in my answer.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Have you tried booting from a Linux Live CD/DVD and reformatting the disk using that?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I cannot recall the exact screens for an XP install, but from what I remember, there was a screen that asked which partition you want to install XP on. Since XP would not recognize ext4, it will not offer that partition. But there should be an Advanced button of link that will let you change the partitions on the hard drive. Once on that screen, delete all partitions, then create one large large partition and install on there.

Also, how big is that hard drive. I recall that the original XP install CDs (not the newer ones that come with SP3 pre-packaged) had issues with very large hard drives (over 128GB???). I know that I can't install XP on my 2TB drive...

New Lounger
    Thanks

Cd's don't work

I have tried CD's with both XP & W7. No disk is the answer.
    But maybe a Linux Live CD/DVD will work.
    But where to find info how to use one of theese LiveCD's?
    I googled but I'm maybe to old for this?

Thanks
    What kind of laptop is this? What BIOS does it have? Maybe the BIOS does not support booting from the CD or it may be turned off in Setup?
    By supplying more details on the hardware someone may be able to answer more directly.
    Do you "Believe"? Do you vote? Please Read:
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    DETAIL in your question promotes DETAIL in my answer.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    If Windows cannot see a disk it is usually because it does not have drivers for the disk controller. Once Windows can see the disk controller it will list all disks.
    Does Windows say it cannot find a disk, or is it saying it cannot use the disk?
    Do you have the original laptop recovery disk? This will have the right drivers.

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    The DVD with both W7 64-bit tried with this result:
    Windows boot mananger
    Windows failed to start,. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause. To fix the problem:
    1. Insert your Windows installation disc & restart PC.
    2. Choose your language settings & then click "Next".
    3. Click "Repair your computer".
    If you don't have the disc, contact system admin or computer manufacturer for assistance.
    File: \windows\system32\boot\winload.exe
    Info: Attempting to load a 64-bit application, thi sCPU is not compatible with 64-bit mode.
    My comment: The CPU IS compatible with 64-bit.
    I have load Windows install disk & it says it loads windows install files but...

XP home install disk (trying to translate from Swedish):
    Install program for Windows XP Home.
    It is not possible to find a harddisc in the computer.. Check the connections etc etc
    Installation canot continue. Press F3 to finnish.
    The same answer if I try with a Repair computer instead of install XP Home.
    So the install CD/DVD is readable & both kinds loads Windows file but that's it. No more help or choices & no install.
    Strange. But my guess is the Linux file format in some way. It think it is called ext4 but I'm not 1005 sure...

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Just reboot laptop Using the Ubuntu disk in live mode. Then Use the partition utility on it to delete all the Linux partitions on the hard drive and make a new NTFS partition.
    Then you reboot laptop using the Windows install CD, and it will recognize the hard drive.

New Lounger
    Thanks

use gparted to reformat hard drive to NTFS

The best way I've found to do what you want to do is to use GParted (http://gparted.sourceforge.net) to delete the partitions, install a (or several) new partition(s), and then reformat your hard drive to NTFS. GParted is a Linux live disk of about 125 megs that works wholly in memory - you can prepare it easily by downloading GParted from sourceforge (or from www.distrowatch.com), from CNET, or from several other sources - and then burn it onto a CD when using Ubuntu You can also put it on a flashdrive via Ubuntu, or via Tuxboot. Then you boot the laptop with GParted running in memory, and use the top bar to do what you want with the hard drive. Given that you're giving up your Ubuntu OS, experiment until you find the size of the partition you want, and format that to NTFS. I use GParted routinely, and just recently used it to prepare partitions on my laptop for Windows 7 on one . and Ubuntu 10.10 on a second. Both work splendidly.

ARK

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    XP does not have a driver for the disk controller, so it reports no disk found.
    The original recovery disk will allow you to load Windows, or you could use W7 32bit.

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hmmm I have tried all tip & still not possible to put in either W7 orWin XP.Still the same answer fron install-disk. I tried to delete all partitions & create a new NTFS partition - Same answerI tried to format that new partition - Same answerI tried to set that partition as bootable - Same answerCan't figure out how the hell Ubuntu still starts, also after deleting partitions et.c...More ideas? There is still hope - maybe

Thanks
    Did you simply delete the partitions, or did you delete, then create and fully format new partitions (not Quick Format)?

It sounds like there may be OEM hardware drivers specific to that computer's hardware configuration which did not come standard with the Live CDs you've tried.

It might help if you can find original system installation CDs/DVDs for the specific make and model of your computer, and reinstall from there. Some OEM install CDs are available online, others through tech support for your brand of PC.

Perhaps there's a Hidden Recovery Partition? Maybe it's accessed by an F10 or other Function Key during boot-up?

It is for situations like this one that I back up my computer's Windows configuration with a system imaging program for which I have Bootable Rescue Media, before trying out any new configuration, or any new Operating System. That way I can roll back just by booting from my Rescue CD. The BIOS must have its Boot Order set to accept CD Boot first, then internal drive or USB device. My BIOS setup is accessed through F2 during boot. Yours may be another Function Key.

I also back up my system drivers using DriverMax Free. It doesn't cost anything to back up and restore one or any number of drivers with this utility, once Windows is back up and running.

I know this is advice after the fact, but maybe save these backup suggestions for when the computer is back to running under Windows XP.
    Last edited by bobprimak; 2012-04-17 at 05:34.
    -- Bob Primak --

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I did delete the partiotions I could see (3 totally). The format I could use at the live-CD I had installed Ubuntu from was only capable of do a quick format as it looks. It took about 5-25 sec. It's true that if I had the org-install-disc I may be able to reinstall XP from scratch. But that is not an option I think. This laptop is from my work (IT at a bank) so I think I have to kill someone to get such disc. They are hidden some where at another appartment in the bank.
    I also can't see any hidden partition. The whole disc is there, but it's "not an real NTFS-disc as either XP or W7 can read & install to.
    The laptop is a Lenovo T60 with double RAM (2 GB), org it's only 1 GB.
    I think I may have to give it up. I may use it with the next Ubuntu 12 that is near release during this month...

Thanks for all ideas
    Björn

Thanks
    For a Work PC, I think you have gone about as far as you can go. Companies or IT Departments create what they call the Standard Disk Image, and deploy it as their baseline, updating the Standard Image only when necessary. Perhaps the IT folks at Work could restore to the Standard Image for the Department? Otherwise, I'm afraid you're stuck with what you've got.

Ubuntu conversion is a good possibility, as long as you're comfortable with Linux. If you're converting, a CD based disk wiping utility could get everything off the hard drive and allow complete reformatting using the Ubuntu Install CD/DVD. Or just run Ubuntu from a new partition. Linux and its data files are much more compact than Windows, so any wasted disk space will not be an issue, I think. Another nice thing about Linux (other than its inherent security advantages) is that Linux partitions almost never need to be defragmented or scanned for viruses.
    Last edited by bobprimak; 2012-04-19 at 14:08.
    -- Bob Primak --

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast