Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    New Lounger
    Thanks
    Wow, bcoop! This was a monster tip. I can't wait to find out if I resolved my shut-down problem. I don't have an external drive attached at the moment but I used Sysinternals Suite autoruns (run as administrator) and found lots of confirmation of the things in the performance section of your tip!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Webweweave View Post
    Wow, bcoop! This was a monster tip. I can't wait to find out if I resolved my shut-down problem. I don't have an external drive attached at the moment but I used Sysinternals Suite autoruns (run as administrator) and found lots of confirmation of the things in the performance section of your tip!
    Glad it worksfor you too, "webww" :-)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have a similar drive. I also encounter the same issue but I think it is because the drive is sleeping and must wake up as part of the Win shutdown. If so, you either must live with it or change the sleep parameters on the drive.
    As an aside, I cannot eject the drive either. On my system, it is due to a couple of Acronis TrueImage services keeping track of the drive.
    Graham

Thanks
    Hello bcoop,

Sorry for not replying to your msg sooner, but I was away from home during Easter.
    I will try your tip.
    Thanks,
    Flores
    Both me and my Windows edition speak brazilian portuguese.

Thanks
    amflores,

You did not state what you were doing with the ext HD prior to shut down nor if there was ext HD activity during the period the computer was shutting down. Your ext HD is set for write-back caching. Simply put, data is sent to the high speed cache buffer of the HD to increase its throughput. Later, the data is flushed from the cache and written to the hard drive. The delay you might be experiencing is the dumping of data from the cache. This is why you often get the message that the "drive cannot be stopped at this time. try again later." It must complete the process or data can be lost, therefore, never pull out a USB drive until Windows says it is OK. If you look at the activity light of the ext HD when you shut down, I'll bet it is flashing, meaning, cached data is finally being written. This is a nessecary step. You can however, on some drives (rarely ext Hd), set it from "Better Performace" to "Quick Removal" or disable write caching on the device. Go to Device Manager and right click on the device. Select properties then select the Policies Tab. If the option is greyed out then this feature is not available. The next best solution is to use the "Safely Remove Hardware" to remove your disk prior to shut down. During shutdown, system resources are high as windows attemps to close all its files, and shutdown may be delayed further with additional tasks of flushing the ext hd cache. The other points to make are to make sure you are using a hish speed USB port and to do your ext HD tasks near the beginning of your computer sessions so that the caching process has completed by the time you shut down. Make sure you have enough free space on the drive for read/write operations (although you didi say it was half full). Try defragging the ext HD and updating the firmware. Lastly, make sure your initial virtual memory is set to at least the same amount as the amount of physical memory +300.

HTH

Thanks
    ........I will try this app and will let you know. OK?
    Hello NW2's,
    I have tried nosleephd but it did not work for me, unfortunately.
    Sorry,
    Flores

Thanks
    Hello Maudibe,

I had for some other reasons to do a System Restore, and now I'm being able to use the "Safely Remove Hardware" to remove my external HD prior to shut down.
    Don't ask me why.
    Many thanks,
    Flores

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12