Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Question Why struggle or stress over Start?

You know I've been reading in a few forums & such & I'm going to let myself say this...

And that is why is there such a proliferation of struggle & stress (& discussion, for that matter) over Start... you know, that screen @ the beginning w/ the tiles.

The 1 that has little on it & seldom offers a reason to visit it? The 1 a person 'bumps through' on the way to Desktop, on boot-up occasions? The 1 sometimes, maybe, used to type a search item? The 1 where tiles get removed cus there just isn't any need for them. The 1 accessible @ the bottom-left corner? The 1 Win key gives? Oh & the 1 that can Win key back to Desktop, that 1? The Start that's hardly ever used? only, even, viewed momentarily, that 1?

The time, text & trepidation spent over this, frankly, gets/is really hard to see.

Actually saw 1 or 2 ppl say, the OS could not be used, was unusable, inoperable because of Start...GEEeeesh!! Everything can be @ one's fingertips & finding & navigating a quick, simple breeze.

I reflect on ppl & wonder, why struggling & stressing over Start?

Drew

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    I spend 99 % of my time on Desktop. When I go to Metro Start it's to do a search, and that's about it. The search is nice. You just go to Metro and start typing. No need to place your mouse in a certain spot or anything. But that's all I use Metro for. No fuss, No muss, no stress. Just use Desktop for everything.

I can see where folks that have touch screens might be stressing. Perhaps they have to get used to the Metro UI. Or perhaps folks using tablets. They might really be stressing cus they most likely really have to get used to Metro. But those of us with keyboards and a mouse, no reason to stress. Life is good. Just keep using the mouse and typing on the desktop.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Administrator
    Thanks
    Most people do NOT like change. IMO, the majority of those who have installed the CP are the "technorati", the "first adopters", the "power users", or the IT types in larger companies who need to see the challenges ahead. The "technorati" that is the technical press and those that are technical VIPs (at least in their own minds) like controversy if for no other reason than to prove how much smarter and more "with it" they are. The remainder of these groups are not going to like to change the years of habit built up with the start menu.

If you carefully read the opinion pieces and so called reviews of Windows 8 you can tell that there are quite a few that were written with either very little or no usage of the product.

Joe

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello, 517. Right on. I will never pretend to be a qualified IT, I only care for ± 10 users and their machines. I got on to W-8 as a challenge and not wanting to be left behind, there is a learning curve, indeed. As Ted said, I only use Metro 1% of the time, if not less. I like -8 and will get used to it, it is quite a bit quicker on the screen than -7, on the same machine that is, the P4 is notable in this respect. I am out to get a new DVD-RW today, the old one picked this change to -8 to die. We are indeed creatures of habit.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm a desktop user and don't have any handheld devices. The Metro is useless to me. I don't find it convenient to use as it fills with installed software. I installed Media Player classic and codec pack and that alone added 23 items to Metro. I find start menu 7 more convenient for occasionally used stuff. It's all arranged in alphabetical order and you don't have to leave the desktop. I use icons tool bars and a folder of frequently used programs icons. A lot of the apps are buggy or don't work. MS did a poor job of preparing people for the radical change Metro caused. It's bad when an experienced Windows user has to do a web search to find out how to shutdown or access the hidden login screen.
    Joe

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    @Joe S: Windows 8 Consumer Preview is a work in progress. Specifically, it is a Beta product; some things don't work as intended, or at all. By using it and providing feedback to Microsoft, we can contribute to the improvement in the OS.

I expect that there will be some changes to the way the Metro Start interface operates between now and any Release Candidate let alone Release to Manufacturing.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Tinto
    I know it's a beta. Given the radical change from the traditional desktop MS should have made sure the apps worked and were closer to finished. They should have done more to prepare the user for the new interface. Like maybe a little 2-3 min video automatically running as soon as the install finished showing the hidden login screen and how to shutdown and a few basics. It looks like MS ignored feedback from developer release since they changed registry and other things to eliminate bypassing Metro. I think Windows 8 is stable and easier on resources than Windows 7.
    Joe

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe S View Post
    Tinto
    I know it's a beta. Given the radical change from the traditional desktop MS should have made sure the apps worked and were closer to finished. They should have done more to prepare the user for the new interface. Like maybe a little 2-3 min video automatically running as soon as the install finished showing the hidden login screen and how to shutdown and a few basics.
    I agree.

Myself and others in this forum have noted that an introductory video may be of benefit, but if that happens, it will only come at a much later stage. The current version is a preview, not the finished article and we are (whether we like it or not) unpaid beta testers - guinea pigs, not end users. We are expected to find faults and problems.

That route does have risks however.

Thanks
    I, already, have asked the W8 Build Team to put something along these lines in the GA. Whether a pop-up vid & or a printed sheet of Tips & How Tos. Others may have said the same thing to them. We'll see when October comes. The CP is only Beta1... there will be some significant changes in the RC, Beta2. Gotta keep remembering, this forthcoming OS which, we are playing w/ in advance, is not the final or finished product.

The feeling that ppl will need/appreciate 'instructions' is widespread... Although, it is all in HELP & Support. But, as we know, ppl just go OMG & don't think to look in HELP.

Drew

mart44
    I'm a believer in getting used to an operating system 'as is' without trying to make it like the previous one. So I'd agree about the Start Button. If planning to go to Windows 8 when released, just try and go with the changes. I found it wasn't long before feeling comfortable with Metro and the way it operates.

I won't be upgrading to Windows 8 until 'new computer' time arrives (won't be for a year or two yet) but if the consumer preview is more or less the way the final release is going to be, then I'm sure I'll be OK without trying to bring back any Windows 7 features. Might not actually need Metro on a Desktop computer but I'll be happy enough to open programs and services using it if that's the way provided.

Thanks
    Maybe many will have or take the same, peaceful, mature, intelligent attitude. Admittedly, I had to take some time to sort Windows8 out, so what? Seems like a no-brainer, cus, gosh, it's different. But, if an old man w/ a mouse & keyboard can do it in jig time. And, yes, that's w/ injecting nothing from the past just, pure, Windows8.

But, you know what... my windows7 is just Win7, same w/ my Vista, same w/ my XP, same w/ my Win98 & same w/ my Win8; it's just great, it's just 8

[B]Drew[/B]

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I also initially "fought" the new Win8 Metro system. Then I found that I could click on the desktop "icon" on the interface and get to more familiar territory. Since I missed the Start button I downloaded a couple of the "fixes" and discovered they were more trouble than navigating and adjusting the Metro interface. So ... I'm in the camp that has become comfortable with the new features and likes them. BTW … I have Win 8 installed as a dual boot option on a win7 Pro Dell 64bit Vostro with plenty of RAM. Dick Arlington

Thanks
    Yes, Dick, I, too, tried those 'like 7' start things...dumped it rather quickly after finding it an unnecessary, redundant, distracting nuisance. & yep, after a bit to adjust to it, 8 does, fairly rapidly, become likable.

Drew

Thanks
    OR the fuss is hard to see when one can power up a Windows8 tower (cold boot), turn around 3 times & there's the Desktop looking @ you.... no P/W, no Start & you never laid a hand on it

Drew

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I neglected to mention the speedy startups and shutdowns -- significantly better than 7. The one item I can't seem to find is the detailed desktop configuration utility where one can change the fonts and sizes for everything independently. In other words, I like the 125% display setting fonts, but the icons are too big and there's too much space between them. I know … picky, picky, picky! Dick Arlington

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast