Lounger
    Thanks

XP hangs at boot when USB HD turned on

My grandchildren have an XP machine which has the latest updates. I installed a USB HD, Fantom 1.5 TB, NTFS. If the disk is powered on during a boot, the PC hangs with the HP logo. The HD works fine if it's turned on once the PC has booted. Since it's hanging at the HP screen, is this telling me that it's a BIOS issue?

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Yes, it's a known problem: some BIOS's are better at handling USB connected devices than others.

Some machines will hang during boot if a USB disk is connected. Some manufactures provide fixes for the problems via a BIOS upgrade, but to be honest, if it is the only problem, I would be tempted not to flash the BIOS (which is inherently risky) and just remember to turn off the USB drive with the PC.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Tinto Tech For This Useful Post:

jasander (2012-03-25)

Lounger
    Thanks
    I assumed that is what's happening. I thought I'd ask a more wiser-set of audience for any feedback. I'm sure the PC will be replaced in the not too distant future, and I would rather leave the BIOS as is.

Thanks again.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    A fairly easy thing to do that might fix the problem is to go into the BIOS and check first, the boot order list, if Other or USB appears before the DVD/CD drive and the hard drive push it down to third on the list, and second, this may be most effective of all is disable the ability in the BIOS for the system to boot from other or USB devices (if you are not booting from any USB devices anyway).

Lounger
    Thanks
    Infinicore, thank you for the suggestion. I'll give it a try sometime this week.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Infinicore: Sorry it took so long to get back. I did boot into BIOS mode this weekend, and the boot sequence was floppy drive (I looked, and yes, there actually is one), CD/DVD, and the hard drive. I disabled the floppy drive. I rebooted and the PC still hung. I'll just have to remember to turn off the external drive when it's not needed, I use it mainly for a weekly full-image backup.

Thanks for your suggestion.