Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    I think I may just wait until MS allows this. It's just easier for me to place a shortcut to the 64 Bit IE on my desktop or Taskbar.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    I found that if you run the 64 bit and then open links in emails they open in the 64 bit..

But, like I said someplace before, I really don't notice any difference between the 32bit and the 64 bit so it doesn't matter to me which one I use.
    "If You Are Reading This In English, Thank A VET"

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Steven,

Thank you very much for your observations on just copying it. Frankly I disregarded the DLL matter and you are absolutely right. It may prove risky and jsut a band aid solution to rename and copy it over in the x86 directory. After reading the threads here I am getting to the conclusion it may be simpler to stick to 32 up to when MS decides to make the selection of 64 or 32 a valid option from their perspective. I just cannot understand the point of releasing a 64 version of IE which comes with so many restrictions almost 3 years after 64 bit systems appeared. I liked the 64 version because it is faster, obviously has less add on, and uses the over 3 GB RAM. But right now, I did a reset because IE was not logging HISTORY and since then for any links it goes to the IE32 directly, instead of going to the IE64 like I had it before the reset. I can't recall what I had done to make it default to the IE64. Before the reset, when IE64 was opened it would go to the IE64 and was not opening the IE32. Now to get the same result I have to open IE64 once, see if it works, if no I close it, reopen it and magic it works: links that I click go to the IE64 directly without opening IE32: puzzling. It must be MS Merlin. But anyway thanks for warning me about the rename and copy matter. Definitely this would be a mistake.

Thanks
    Like I said earlier, I just deleted the IE 32Bit icon and created a IE 64 Bit icon and placed it on the taskbar instead. This way when I click on the IE icon on the Taskbar (where it was always located) it's the 64 Bit version instead of the 32 Bit version. That's pretty easy to do.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Ted,

Thanks for your input. I knew that and I have been doing for a very long time. I also have the INTERNET EXPLORER VERSION64 loading automatically with MS TASK SCHEDULER at start up. Even if I do all that, it appears that clicking on a link in an Email opens up IE32 automatically instead of opening a new tab in my already opened IE64. That was not happening before I did a reset of IE. It use to go open a new tab in whichever IE version was opened, hence since I load IE64 at start up through the TASK SCHEDULER it was always going to IE64. But now since I did that reset to get my history log going (because it has stopped working), it looks like it has funny behaviours.

Any suggestions welcomed.

Thanks
    No suggestions for that except waiting game. I believe eventually MS will give the ability to set IE 64 Bit as default. Perhaps this will not happen until they decide to release IE 10 for use with Win 7. Only those at MS know for sure at this stage.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

New Lounger
    Thanks

Can you please send the correct command?

Steven: I would like to make internet expolorer 64bit my default browser. Thank you for your suggestion on how to do so. However, it did not work with my windows 7 64bit system and I am not sure why.

I Tried the Junction V.06 program by cutting a pasting your command into the CMD window.

Junction "c:\program files (x86)\Internet Explorer" "c:\program files\Internet Explorer"

I got this error in the CMD window-

Error Creating C:\\program files (x86)\internet explorer: Cannot create a file when that file already exists.

I also tried without the spaces and got No Matching files were found.

Please advise with correct command or is it possible I have the wrong Juction program?

FYI: Also Posted In Microsoft Answers.

Thanks
    Cyber, when I have IE 64 open and click on a link it opens in a new tab in IE64..

I mentioned that earlier in this thread...

New Lounger
    Thanks

Works for Me

StevenLawyer's procedure works perfectly for me. Thanks Steven! The method that Banyerola mentioned also works, but I'd rather not have to keep a blank copy of IE open all the time.

Norwood451: Did you follow Step 2 of Steven's procedure, before running the junction command? I didn't the first time around and got the message you mentioned.

Here are copies of the batch files I made to suppress or activate the IE 32-bit version:

IE32-supress.bat
    echo off
    rem IE 32-bit folder has been renamed to: "c:\program files (x86)\Internet Explorer 32bit"
    echo ***** NOTE: This script must be "Run as administrator". *****
    echo .
    c:\junction -d "c:\program files (x86)\Internet Explorer"
    c:\junction "c:\program files (x86)\Internet Explorer" "c:\program files\Internet Explorer"
    echo .
    echo .
    echo IE 32-bit version is now suppressed.
    echo Use IE32-activate.bat to restore it.
    echo .
    pause

IE32-activate.bat
    echo off
    rem IE 32-bit folder has been renamed to: "c:\program files (x86)\Internet Explorer 32bit"
    echo ***** NOTE: This script must be "Run as administrator". *****
    echo .
    c:\junction -d "c:\program files (x86)\Internet Explorer"
    c:\junction "c:\program files (x86)\Internet Explorer" "c:\program files (x86)\Internet Explorer 32bit"
    echo .
    echo .
    echo IE 32-bit version is now restored to operation.
    echo Use IE32-suppress.bat to suppress it.
    echo .
    pause

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Evubear For This Useful Post:

pedropico1 (2014-11-08)

Thanks
    Personally guys, I would rather just wait until they either make it the default or give you the option to make it the default...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12