New Lounger
    Thanks

Can't connect to a U.S. gov. public Wi-Fi

Hardware is an Asus netbook 1015 with Windows 7 Home Premium & SP1
    I've followed the directions provided (some are a bit redundant, but verbatim) and can't connect. No on-site assistance is provided.

At first I got a message like this: "The server "ourserver.ourdomain.com" presented a valid certificate issued by "Entrust.net Secure Server Certification Authority", but "Entrust.net Secure Server Certification Authority" is not configured as a valid trust anchor for this profile."

A web search revealed some have issues with the certificate not in the "Trusted Root Certification Authorities" I'm not sure if that is the same as anchor. My certificate is listed in the Secure Server Certification Authority. Now I can't get a connection at all.

I also read here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2518158
    That " By default, the CA certificate is not in the NTAuth store on a Windows system that is part of a workgroup." I don't see anyway to leave a workgroup . . .

Network name USPTOGuest
    Security Type: WAP2-Enterprise
    Encription Type: AES
    Start this connection automatically - Checked
    Connect even if the network is not broadcasting - Checked
    [Change Connections Settings]
    [Security]
    Security Type: WAP2-Enterprise
    Encription Type: AES
    Remember my credentials for this connection each time I'm logged in - Unchecked
    [Settings]
    [Protected EAP Properties]
    [Trusted Root Certiication Authorties]
    Entrust.net Certification Authorty (2048) - Checked
    Do not prompt user to authorize new servers or trusted certification authorities - Unchecked
    [Select Authentication Method]
    "Secured Password (EAP-MSCHAP v2")
    Enable Fast Reconnect - Checked
    [Configure]
    "Automatically use my Windows logon name and password (and domain if any)- Unchecked

As always,

TIA

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I was able to connect my Samsung Galaxy III verifying the wifi is “on” and suggesting to me the probable issue is one of their server certificate settings. After several emails with IT, one of which was the POC I was given admitting he was having trouble figuring out what group owns the public wifi, IT has accepted they may have an issue. But only after I repeated for the 3rd time the message I was receiving . . .