3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Windows update files

When I was using XP the number of Win update files accumulated steadily in the Windows folder. I'm now using Win 7 Ultimate, but using Xplorer2, a file manager on steroids, set to show all files and extensions, I don't see any leftover detritus. It seems improbable that these are being deleted automatically, but if not where are they hidden?

Thanks,

David

Thanks
    They are in the Windows\WinSxS folder.

Open an elevated command prompt and type

dism /online /cleanup-image /spsuperseded

to remove the backup files. Bear in mind that you will be unable to uninstall any update or SP1 after running this command.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks a lot for your response. Not exactly intuitive is it? It was a lot simpler in XP, I suppose this is what passes for progress. However, it worked, over 2 Gig of backup files, way too much.

David