New Lounger
    Thanks

Vista SP1 install

My Widows Update has been set on automatic since day 1 yet it failed to install SP1 on 4/22/2010. I am now having problems with software requiring that Vista SP1 be installed. I have not had success in loading SP1 manually or using System Update. Troubleshooting has consisted of installing stand alone package and running System Update Readiness Tool. I have made progress from getting an immediate error notice to having the install progress thru its setup and get a "Updates were not configured correctly" Is anyone familiar with SP1 configurations? Can it be bypassed and have SP2 update the system?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 927 Posts
    Unfortunately, Vista SP2 requires SP1 to be installed first.

Have you tried installing in safe mode?
    Have you disabled your A/V before starting the install?
    Have you looked at any log files?

Joe

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Diodeone, you may want to tell us what kind of computer are you using and what edition of Vista you have on your computer (ex. Vista Home Premium, Vista Ultimate, etc.) and if you are using either the 32bit (x86) edition or the 64bit (x64) edition of Windows Vista. Run either the MS System Information tool (msinfo32.exe) or the DirectX Diagnostic tool (dxdiag.exe) to gather these kinds of information for your computer.

First log file to check is the CBS.log file in the \Windows\Logs\CBS\ folder. This log file is large and may take a while to load in Notepad.
    If you see a bunch of "error 0x8nnnnnn" strings listed in the CBS.log file, you can try to google them and look for solutions there.

But try running SFC /SCANNOW first from either the Run dialog box or the Vista Window command prompt to check if the Vista system files are corrupt or not. Restart the computer when done.

And also after you have found a resolution to installing Vista SP1, you must install Vista SP2 in order to receive the latest security updates. Microsoft ended support for Vista SP1 on July 12, 2011.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for your response. I have a HP running VISTA 6 Home Premium, 32bit operating system, 3072MB memory, 640 GB hard drive, Intel 2Quad Q6600 Processor @2.4 Gig.

Your suggestions will be tried, I have much to work on.