2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Fix 'errors' en masse

The Grammar Settings in Word 2007 has 3 "Require" settings -

Comma required before last item
    Punctuation required with quotes and
    Spaces required between sentences.

Is there a way I can get Word to apply those rules as a bulk operation - ie just do it, no questions asked.

I know I can do it as I write, but I often edit other peoples work prior to publication. I'd just like to get these simple things out of the way.

Thanks - external tools could be OK,

NW2,s

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    I use find and replace for the spaces, but have not found a satisfactory way within Word to do the others. I just fix them as I edit.

Pam

4. The Following User Says Thank You to PamCaswell For This Useful Post:

northwood2222 (2012-03-30)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Pam,

I do use Replace to fix the spaces (I prefer two) - but the other two are trickier,

I'd also like to apply my auto correct rules en-masse, ie replace ... with … -- with – etc

I was sure there would be a macro, addin, gadget whatever - maybe I'm looking in the wrong places

Can't beleive I'm the first person to ever wish for this sort of thing.

NW

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    No you are not the first. There's a site called the Editorium, which 10 years ago helped me come to terms with Word. The newsletter archive has several discussions about adding the serial comma and macro attempts. All would be solved if we or a macro could make use of the grammar checker results. After all, it pretty accurately identifies and's that need a preceding comma. But, so far, we can't.

For replacing the auto correct rules en masse, check out the Editorium's Megareplacer (commercial, but reasonable) or Paul Beverly's FRedit (free). I have used Megareplacer for many years and have started checking out FRedit because I need something I can temporarily install on a client's computer without violating a license agreement. IFRC, both allow match case, whole word, and wild card searches.

I make the list according to a client's style guide. Here's a sample of one:

— |—
    ([!,]) as needed|\1, as needed+m
    ([!,]) including|\1, including+m
    ([!,]) which|\1, which+m
    24/7|24x7
    24/7/365|24x7x365
    a great deal of |much
    a great many of |more
    a number of|several
    ad-hoc|ad hoc
    advisor|adviser
    afford an opportunity |permit
    agency-wide|agencywide
    BS|B.S.+w
    Delivery Order|delivery order+c
    i.e. |i.e.,
    lifecycle|life cycle

After I run the macro, I can concentrate on the content. That seems to be what you are looking for as well.

Pam
    Last edited by PamCaswell; 2012-03-31 at 15:20.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to PamCaswell For This Useful Post:

northwood2222 (2012-03-31)

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks
    Cross-posted at: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/o...7825515#footer
    For cross-posting etiquette, please read: http://www.excelguru.ca/content.php?184
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Pam - I can't recall seeing Editorium in any of the searches I did - which is a surprise. I know one of the searches I did was "editors tools", and I used at least 3 SE's

First glance indicates there might be few useful gadgets at Editorium.

After I run the macro, I can concentrate on the content. That seems to be what you are looking for as well.
    Precisely

NW

Lounger
    Thanks
    In the case of the first item, Comma required before last item, why would you want it when you might find you have, for just one instance, '. . . Tinidad, and Tobago'?

I use the 'Oxford Comma' only when ambiguity is possible, otherwise the word 'and' suffices.

Dic