Lounger
    Thanks

External Hard Drive Runs Continuously

Whenever I have my external hard drive (Transcend StoreJet 500 gb) connected to my laptop via a usb cable, it runs continuously whether I am accessing data on it or not. I don't like that because I am afraid it will wear out the drive prematurely. Even after I go to Safely Remove Hardware and Eject the drive, and it says Safely to Remove, it continues to run if I do not unplug it. How can I stop it from running? Is there a program on my computer that might be accessing the drive without me knowing? Sure, I can disconnect it but would rather leave it connected and ready to use. Thanks for any ideas. (I am running Windows 7 on my laptop.)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Try checking your power options in Control Panel > power options>change plan settings in whichever is ticked>Change Advanced Power Settings > Check the hard disk setting is not set to never and choose a time for HDD to turn off after no use.
    Clive

All typing errors are my own work and subject to patents pending. Except errors by the spell checker. And that has its own patients.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to curiousclive For This Useful Post:

Pappy (2012-03-31)

Thanks
    You can also ensure that system restore and or indexing is turned off to the external drive if these things are not needed.
    Ensure that no operating system process or backup application is constantly reading or writing to the drive when it is not being used by you.
    This will also ensure that the drive does go into standby or low power mode when it is suppose to.

Some AV/AM applications that run continuously in the backgrownd may also asume control when the drive is plugged in.
    If you are confident in your security arangements and the way you use your drive you may configure your AV/AM app to
    exempt it from continuous AV/AM activity.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to CLiNT For This Useful Post:

Pappy (2012-03-31)

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks a lot for your ideas. I tried them all and this ext. drive is still running on it's own. I'll ask Transcend about it and will post back if I resolve it.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Lightbulb any updates

Quote Originally Posted by Pappy View Post
    Thanks a lot for your ideas. I tried them all and this ext. drive is still running on it's own. I'll ask Transcend about it and will post back if I resolve it.
    I have the same problem... on some devices the Drive will stop when not in use, on some devices the drive continues to run none stop just as you described. Even if the drive is ejected from Windows 7. It Runs forever..

I can't find an answer anywhere.. but I wonder if it has to do with the device mounting as a HD or Removable/Floppy..

So far, the devices appear to be the same, HD.. the biggest difference, is the File System.. the A-Data that runs and runs, is partitioned into a FAT32 and an exFAT.. I did this to avoid the NTFS system running the drive with restore options, and that didn't fix it..

The other drive is a Seagate, it is a NTFS 1 Partition.. It seems to sleep ok when not in use, but its so quiet, maybe i can't hear it.. the like is solid, and only flashes when I use it.

I have system protection off for all drives..

The power settings are normal, turn off when not usedd after 15mins..

Both items appear as disk drives not floppy, both are the type HDD...

So, If anyone has any updates to this thread, please share with us..
    Thanks.