Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Star Lounger
    Thanks

Problems connecting to websites: cannot find DNS server

I have started having a problem with IE9 over the last couple of days. I click on a link or a shortcut and I get a page like that attached, with the error message "DNS error-server cannot be found". I just got this when trying to go here from a shortcut on my desktop and I had to transfer to FF in order to access the Lounge website. What's wrong with IE9 all of a sudden?
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Administrator
    Thanks
    The url for the lounge has changed. You should use Windowssecrets.com/forums.

Joe

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you, I will amend my shortcut, however, it's been happening with other websites.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    My problem keeps happening. I always have to refresh to get the page up. Does anyone have any ideas about why?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sylviesinc View Post
    My problem keeps happening. I always have to refresh to get the page up. Does anyone have any ideas about why?
    Your probably using your ISP's DNS servers. Download this to find your best option.
    George's PC Specs. / Laptop. Desktop.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you. I have downloaded this and run the benchmark. It has recommended another DNS server as 96% faster than my current one so do I just input the configuration given for BT-60 (194.75.0.98) in my router settings instead of my current configuration? Do I need to do anything else and are there any dangers?

I have just looked at my router settings. It's a Netgear. Do I go into Basic settings and unclick "get DNS dynamically from ISP" as it is now, then input the new configuration? There are boxes for Primary and Secondary and the namebench software did give me a Secondary ( the one I have currently) and also a Tertiary 2001:47:20::2 Hurricane Electric IPv6. Do I need to input both the new one and my current one and where do I input the Tertiary? Sorry to be so ignorant!
    Last edited by sylviesinc; 2012-04-05 at 14:31.

Thanks
    These are my Netgear settings using OpenDNS. Read the info on the r/hand side of your page before starting. You don't have to alter your pc settings.

Capture.PNG

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Roderunner For This Useful Post:

JCitizen (2012-04-12),sylviesinc (2012-04-06)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I did everything as advised and my computer was performing well but my husband's laptop, which is connected wirelessly to my router lost connection. Any advice please?

Thanks
    As I don't know how you connect to your ISP, I only meant you to set your DNS as in my image.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes I did that, using the new config as primary and my ISP's config as secondary but I must have to do something to my husband's laptop settings and I don't know what. Never mind, thanks anyway.

Thanks
    The Primary & Secondary should be from the same DNS server. Tell your beloved to uninstall his Network adapter BUT keep the drivers, re connect by entering the password after re booting.

RR.PNG

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you for the advice. After losing his connection yesterday, I doubt he will be willing to allow me to fiddle with it again, but if I continue to have problems, I'll do it when he isn't looking.

Thanks
    I wont tell him

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Roderunner For This Useful Post:

JCitizen (2012-04-12),sylviesinc (2012-04-07)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I hope it's ok for me to piggy-back this thread.
    Because at the moment I don't understand some conclusion that the recommended app (namebench) comes to in my case.

I use Win-XP-Sp3.
    Modem = Siemens Speedstream 4200 (supplied free by my ISP)
    ISP = Optus (I think 10.1.1.1 = OptusNet DNS server, but I could be wrong).
    Connection = ADSL2+

In the image following:
    - top pic = how I've defined DNS servers in my TCP/IP properties
    - middle = what namebench displays when it starts up (seems to take 10.1.1.1 as address of primary DNS server)
    - bottom = what namebench recommends after running.

namebench.jpg

My settings in pic #1 are intended to override my ISP DNS.
    Does this NOT happen?

Because namebench seems to regard 10.1.1.1 as the current primary DNS server and recommends that I should change to the Google DNS server (pic #3), which I though I'd already done (pic #1).

Can someone decode this "anomaly" for me?
    Am I supposed to tweak the modem's settings to turn off the ISP as primary DNS source in addition to the override as in pic #1 (the modem was installed with its software wizard without any tinkering from me); I know nothing about it and don't want to lose my internet connection by making mistakes.

Help/patience appreciated.
    Thanks

New Lounger
    Thanks

Lightbulb Restart the Laptop?

Quote Originally Posted by sylviesinc View Post
    Thank you for the advice. After losing his connection yesterday, I doubt he will be willing to allow me to fiddle with it again, but if I continue to have problems, I'll do it when he isn't looking.
    Just about any router will have to be reset after a DNS change such as you did, so it is most likely that yours reset itself, which would have dropped his wifi connection. However, it seems as though his PC did not re-connect after that as it should have done (or got "confused" in the process) - see if restarting it does the trick.

There should not be any need to alter its network settings if they already were set to automatically get its IP address and DNS server settings from the router via DHCP, so if there still is a problem after restarting, have your hubby review the PC's TCP/IP network settings for the wifi interface (not the wired one, if there is such in the laptop). If for some reason it is set to a manual setup, then that should be modified for the DNS setting it would seem - let us know what he finds.

HTH

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast