2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Import Thunderbird to Eudora 7.1 Problem

I've tried to follow the instructions from somewhere else, maybe Eudora help(?), but have hit a snag & I'm not sure if it's something I've done wrong with T-Bird or Windows 7.
    I'm supposed to "locate the prefs.js File" in Tbird which I believe I've done ok but when I open it I get an error window(paste below) & am lost . Can I get some guidance on that please.

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
    Tbird 10
    Eudora 7.1
    IE 9
    Attached Images Attached Images

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by grits View Post
    I'm supposed to "locate the prefs.js File" in Tbird which I believe I've done ok but when I open it I get an error window

It's not clear to me why you're being instructed to locate the prefs.js file, but I'm pretty sure they don't mean for you to execute it. My guess is the instructions are just going to have you get some location information from prefs.js. The error you're getting is because you're trying to execute prefs.js as a script, and I wouldn't expect that to work outside the T-bird environment. (The T-bird program uses a bunch of javascript add-in subroutines meant to work in conjunction with other parts of the program. They're not meant to be run as stand-alone scripts.)

I'm guessing you're supposed to open prefs.js as a text file so you can peruse the contents. There are various ways to do that. On some systems you may be able to right-click on the prefs.js file and choose "open with notepad" from the pop-up context menu.

If you don't see an "open with notepad" choice, here's another quick and dirty method that should work on any system. Right-click on your Win7 desktop and create a new text document. It doesn't matter what you name it, but once it's created, double-click it and it will launch notepad. Now open the folder where your prefs.js file is located. Drag the prefs.js file and drop it into the open notepad window. Now you can read the contents of the js script instead of trying to execute it.

I have no idea what instructions you're following or how reliably the Eudora import process may work, but IMHE importing/exporting between disparate mail clients doesn't always go smoothly. Since Eudora and T-bird both support IMAP, an alternative option might be to use gmail as an intermediary. Setup a gmail acct if you don't already have one, then configure an acct in T-bird to access gmail via IMAP. Next use T-bird to move or copy selected mail from T-bird to gmail. Once T-bird is synced with gmail, configure Eudora to access gmail via IMAP. Once Eudora syncs with gmail, use Eudora to copy stuff to Eudora's local folders as desired. (Be careful to copy, not drag it out of gmail unless you also want it eliminated from T-bird the next time T-bird syncs up with gmail.)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    This is all 'over my head' & I don't want to mess around with gmail so just forwarded any that I wanted then got rid of that identity in TBird.
    Thanks to all but I'm done with this thread, it can be closed or whatever.