Thread: Only Microsoft

3 Star Lounger Not Brightest Bulb's Avatar
    Thanks

Only Microsoft

Just had to get on with a rant/vent, "If I knew then what I know now statement"

This morning I fired up backup PC that weeks ago or so I upgrade from XP to Windows 7 Home Edition. I fired it up and it proceeded to tell me (cause left room for a few minutes) that I had an invalid Windows 7 install. Well I shut all down and rebooted and found out that my activation period was over. What activation period I bought the disc on Amazon brand new and did the install.

Well after my heart attack/stroke tempered down a bit I reactivated my Windows 7 that thought I had already activated on original install. aaaaaaaaggggggggggghhhhhhhhhHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

Oh yes if I knew I would now be a Mac owner.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    I am sorry to disagree with you. Activation is a Microsoft measure to try to diminish the losses resulting from piracy of their software. Surely you were offered to activate when you installed it and you chose not to. It also seems that you were able to activate your PC without any issues, after that.
    Last edited by ruirib; 2012-03-30 at 15:04. Reason: typo

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ruirib View Post
    I am sorry to disagree with you. Activation is a Microsoft's measure to try to diminish the losses resulting from piracy of their software. Surely you were offered to activate when you installed it and you chose not to. It also seems that you were able to activate your PC without any issues, after that.
    I thought I had activated it 1st time, evidently something slipped by me. I thought an actual install could only be done when/after activation numbers were entered. Not to worry, that's just my ineptness that jumps out and humbles me a bit.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    NBB,

When you did the install you entered the Product Key and Windows 7 installed. You then have 30 days to Activate the software which takes info from your PC like the MAC address, CPU ID, etc. This is to prevent someone from using the same disk to install on multiple machines. I hope this explains how the process works.

FYI: Since only Apple makes Apple hardware and the Apple OS only runs on Apple hardware they don't have to do this since you pay for the OS with the Hardware.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Not Brightest Bulb View Post
    I thought I had activated it 1st time, evidently something slipped by me. I thought an actual install could only be done when/after activation numbers were entered. Not to worry, that's just my ineptness that jumps out and humbles me a bit.
    To add to what RetiredGeek wrote, I would like to say that this activation process is now used by many software companies. You see, if activation wasn't needed, anyone could use a single key to install an app (or Windows in this case), as many times as they wished. When you activate your installation, the fact that your key was used once will be recorded and if someone tries to use it again, that may be stopped.

The number of allowed activations varies with the software and the circumstances and even Microsoft itself will help you activate Windows if you have exhausted your allowed activations (which should be 1, for most Windows retail installations). Some manufacturers allow for more. Two different the apps I use allow for two activations each.

To conclude, use of an activation procedure to validade software copies is something many companies do, these days, it's surely not something Microsoft does and there are valid reasons for this way of validating legitimate software copies.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RetiredGeek View Post
    NBB,

When you did the install you entered the Product Key and Windows 7 installed. You then have 30 days to Activate the software which takes info from your PC like the MAC address, CPU ID, etc. This is to prevent someone from using the same disk to install on multiple machines. I hope this explains how the process works.

FYI: Since only Apple makes Apple hardware and the Apple OS only runs on Apple hardware they don't have to do this since you pay for the OS with the Hardware.
    Well immediately 1st thought was I screwed up (which I did) cause it went right over my head. Evidently I was patting myself on the back so vigorously for accomplishing the actual upgrade by myself, I missed the words "trial" and "activation" and assumed I was all done, you know what they say about "assumed"

Thanks
    Hey, we all have those moments. It seems mine are coming much more often now that I am officially a "senior". You know a "senior moment"! LOL.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    If your not too familiar with the clean install method and or the activation process, I suggest being present
    during the install in it's entirety, and actually paying close and patient attention to the information presented and requested for at least the first time.

You don't get to take clean installing lightly until you've done it a few times and know what to expect:

Installing Windows 7, by TweekHound
    (amung the better computer clean install advisors, you won't find better)

A MAC can be a great computer for those who have limited computer skills and just want to "get the job done" so to speek.
    But the biggest issues in a MAC is the fact that you will be confined and limited to the way "Apple" works.
    Very little hacking and maneuvering room possible in your typical MAC system.

Thanks
    Clint you definitely do not know the caliber of man you are dealing with here

Ted, Senior Moment ! what's that? So old forgot what senior moment means. The good news is I can bounce on here for help when needed, it's cool when you got people watching one's back.