Thread: Taming IE9

Thanks

Taming IE9

I have two computers, a Gateway and an HP, both running Windows 7 64 bit and both running the same version of IE9. The two behave differently when I open a web site by double clicking a link on my desktop, then click on the blank tab. I want them both to work the same.

The HP opens the web site fine. When I click IE9's blank tab, a tab named 'New Tab' opens, and displays ten large icons showing 'Your most popular sites'. I like this.

The Gateway also opens the web site fine. But when I click IE9's blank tab, the tab that opens is one with the home page of the web site I originally opened. I DO NOT like this.

I've looked in vain for some explanations of how to set IE9's behavior upon clicking the blank tab. Maybe I'm not using the right search terms, but the only things I turn up are very general explanations that IE9 can be customized in many ways, with next to nothing about what those ways are, and what are the different options they have.

How can I make the Gateway computer work the same way as the HP? (If the HP way is something provided by HP, how can I make the Gateway open my default home page, which happens to be Google?)
    Lou Sander
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    USA

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Hi,

That is easily accomplished. Choose the Tools->Internet Options menu. In the General tab, near the bottom of the dialog that will open, you have a Tabs section. Click the Settings button. You will be lead to titled Tabbed Browse Settings. At the middle of this one, you have a dropdown labeled when a new tab is opened, open:. Choose the new tab page.

That should do it.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

Lou Sander (2012-03-31)

Thanks
    It worked. Thanks!

They don't make this stuff real easy to find, do they?
    Lou Sander
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    USA

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Yes, sometimes it's needed to dig down a bit to find how to use some feature. I am glad you now have IE working as you wanted .

Thanks
    While I used your tip to fix my problem, I continued to look elsewhere, and found a few things. Maybe others can use them.

My specific need was addressed in the book "Windows 7 Inside Out." It was sitting on my shelf, but I didn't think to consult it earlier. Bottom line: There's still a lot of good stuff in books.

Some more Googling revealed detailed explanations of the Security section of the Advanced tab of the Internet Options dialog box. While it doesn't address my former problem, there is some good stuff there. First look at this link, then follow the link he provides to the details: http://securitywatch.pcmag.com/priva...options-dialog
    Lou Sander
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    USA