At the time, MSE was my AV, with MBAM as a scanner. Windows 7 Pro x64 w/all updates. Still, not good enough. It was one of those attacks that stopped everything in my arsenal to scan with. Couldn't even run the MRT tool from the Start Menu.
Finally, I rebooted into XP Pro beside of Windows 7, started scanning with MSE, it went right to cleaning. I ran it 2 times. MBAM also found some things. Ran it twice. By that time, I was tired, and went to bed.
The next morning, when I booted into Windows 7 to check my email box (my daily routine), there was a box, it looked exactly like a MSE box. Said something to the effect that my system wasn't totally clean yet, to click it to finish. So I did. And BOOM! It started all over again.
I wasn't going through that crap again. Being that it was a TechNet install, it wasn't backed up. I simply booted from my Mini Tool Partition Wizard partition disk, formatted the space, then deleted the space, then did a DOD (3x) wipe of the space. Then started over again with Windows 7 Pro. Whatever it caught was finally gone.
As a result of this, I had to review my security stance. Went with ESET NOD32 AV & MBAM Pro, haven't been infected since. Early this year, when my NOD32 subscription ran out, I switched to ESET Smart Security 5, along with MBAM Pro. Still no problems to this day. I'll stick with this regime until something happens (I hope that it won't).
But Google's Safe Browsing or Safe Search as it was called in Safari, isn't perfect.