New Lounger
    Thanks

Backup to alternate hard drives

I want to backup weekly using alternate external hard drives each week. When I do this,it looks liike the amount of information that is backed up varies greatly from week to week. What I do is backup, take the drive to a remote location and pick up the other drive for next week.

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    What kind of backup and what software are you using. If you're using Image backup software the size shouldn't vary much unless you are creating a lot of data, e.g. pictures, videos, wordprocessing, spreadsheets, etc.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I am using the Windows backup that is part of the operating system and I want to backup everything on the C drive.

Thanks
    My suggestion, as you'll probablly hear from Fred & Ted, is to try Macrium Reflect Free in place of Windows backup. If you burn the Windows PE boot disk, one of the Macrium Options, you'll be able to make full image backups and it will be easier to delete the old ones. I always name my backups with my 3 initials and the date in YYYYMMDD format thus if doing one today it would be BEK20120331 I know the date is somewhat redundant since windows will date the file I find it much easier to only have to look to the name to decide which is the oldest/newest backup.

Good Luck.

P.S. I personally like to make my backups with Windows "out of the way" that's why I like the Windows PE boot disk which allows you to both backup and restore while booting from the CD or USB Key. The Linux Recovery CD or USB Key only allows you to Restore you have to make your backups with Windows running...call me paranoid but it's "My Way!" YMMV.
    Last edited by RetiredGeek; 2012-03-31 at 18:48.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    I believe that although Win 7 back up works somewhat, it is somewhat limited in it's scope and because of this and a lack of features you are better off with one of the fine 3rd party alternatives. There are free and paid, and the free alternatives have more full featured paid alternatives as well. I use Acronis True Image Home myself and love it.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy