4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

How to remove FF

Hi,
    I’m having problems with FFcrashing, mostly on opening. Creating a new user profile only alleviated the situation, so I would like to uninstall FF yet again, this time without saving any details, run CCleaner and start from scratch.

Problem is, both Control Panel/Add & Delete programmes and Absolute Uninstaller show v 9.0.1 as being installed, rather than v 11. As a consequence, it doesn’t get removed.

Would deleting the FF folder from Programme Files do the trick, or would it entail extensive changes to the registry?

Thanks

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    Use an uninstaller such as Revo Uninstaller. You might need to use the trial version of Revo uninstaller Pro (only Pro can uninstall 64 Bit apps). Afetr uninstalling then use CCleaner to look for leftovers for just FF.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Myers View Post
    Use an uninstaller such as Revo Uninstaller. You might need to use the trial version of Revo uninstaller Pro (only Pro can uninstall 64 Bit apps). After uninstalling then use CCleaner to look for leftovers for just FF.
    Thanks Ted, I am impressed that Revo was able to remove FF 9.0.1 where Absolute Uninstaller and Control Panel/ add & remove had failed. However, I shall only use it when absolutely necessary, due to the lists of what is to be removed along with a request to check and confirm them all – quite intimidating for anyone who doesn’t have any idea what each of these files is for. Better to just ask for an application to be removed and leave it at that, without all the detail. It was unfortunate that I left looking to see if there were any replies to my posting until just before going to bed, when it could have been much earlier. Knowing that I would be out until about 6pm today, and thus have a busy evening on the PC, I downloaded Revo and removed FF. Use of CCleaner for omitted due to the need to get up early this morning. After rebooting I was really impressed to see the FF icons on the desktop and the quick launch bar, thinking it had been clever enough to remove the old version and leave the other intact. But all was not as it seemed. Clicking an icon still brought up the choice of which profile to use, but the old, default profile just crashed FF, and the new one worked, but it took a long time to open the browser. A quick look at all three uninstallers showed to mention of FF. There I left it and went to bed. On reboot this evening all trace of FF had gone, so I downloaded and installed it again, only to find that both profiles were still present. So another removal with Revo, this time using option 5 rather than the default ‘Moderate clean up’ , but I forgot to use CCleaner. However, after an hour or so of installing those add-ons I can remember, plus opening sites I visit regularly and resetting the bookmarks, all seems to be well. If the problem recurs I shall use Revo again, followed by CCleaner as you suggest. I’m very grateful for your help. George
    Last edited by georgelee; 2012-04-02 at 16:01.

Thanks
    Glad I could help George.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    georgelee, I don't know if the 64 bit version of Revo is any different or not, but with the free version, all you have to do is check the bold print items and delete them. Most applications, this is a minor inconvenience. On applications like Microsoft Office that have over 5000 files that need to be checked, it gets quite time consuming and frustrating. The only salvation that you have is that every file under a bolded file name is also bolded so you don't have to expand bolded file names.

Edit:spelling error
    Last edited by john3347; 2012-04-12 at 11:24. Reason: spelling

7. The Following User Says Thank You to john3347 For This Useful Post:

georgelee (2012-04-18)

Thanks
    Actually, most of the time Firefox crashes have to do with user Profile data, which are hidden in the current user account's AppData folders under either Mozilla or Firefox. In 64-bit Windows, check both the Local AppData and the Roaming AppData for these folders. Look for the Profiles sub-folder and remove the folder entirely. Once a good profile is re-created, back up the good profile to another location using either the FEBE Extension or the free MozBackup program. (Don't fret that MozBackup only lists Firefox 5 -- the program works in even the most recent Firefox versions last I checked.) This allows restoration to a known good profile after removal of a corrupted profile.
    Get the idea I've been through all this a few times myself?
    -- Bob Primak --

9. The Following User Says Thank You to bobprimak For This Useful Post:

georgelee (2012-04-18)