Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

SMART test failure

HP Hardware Diagnostic test reports that hard drive"Failed" SMART Extended Self Test HD521-3W. The error messages are:"...electrical element of the test failed". And, "The first failing LBA value is 0and the failure occurred after the device had been operating for 4634 power-onhours. I've tested 3 times with same result. This computer is still under warranty. What to do?

Thanks
    Save the report generated by the diagnostic tool and contact the seller or manufacturer of your computer.
    Make a complete image based back up of the drive, and also back up your personal data to external drive, USB thumb, or CD/DVD disks.

Do the errors generated by the diagnostics produce any real world issues when it comes to using your computer?
    Is the drive a Seagate?
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2012-04-02 at 11:03.

New Lounger
    Thanks

SMART error report

Yes, I'm well back-up a couple of ways....was unable to establish contact yesterday with HP Support...

I ran the Windows 7 Error-checking tool...no errors reported there (or possibly repair during check).

No operating issues ... error report came from a scheduled hardware check by HP software.

Yes, it's a Seagate: ST31500341AS (1500.30 GB).

New Lounger
    Thanks

SMART error report -- resolution?

The hard drive in question is a Seagate; I downloaded "SeaTools" from Seagate and ran it. The quick and then the extended scans both give the drive a "Pass". In some related info, the manufacturer claims that this software is better for their (Seagate) drives and that other software, HP's in this case, is not as accurate.

My resolution: I will continue to back up my data files several times daily and create a drive image several times a week. I hope this protects me sufficiently and saves me the effort of getting a new drive (via warranty or otherwise) and doing all the setup on that.

If anyone has any observations on my approach, I would appreciate getting them.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by waylandc View Post
    If anyone has any observations on my approach, I would appreciate getting them.
    waylandc,
    Hello... First off doing "Images" is the best way to protect your data ...Just make sure that your not placing the "Images" on the same HD as your "Data". As Clint has stated... External or 2nd Internal HD ...is the way to go. Just to be sure you can download another excellent software product called HdSentinelThe "trial" won't give you all the tools ..but will give you another 3rd party opinion. Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Clint and Fred...issue resolved--Drive images made on external media. Sentinel says HD is o.k.

Thanks
    Hmmm... interesting. I, too have an HP Pavilion desktop with a Seagate 1TB hdd, and recently Windows actually started reporting imminent failure due to SMART data. Turns out to be some "reallocation" errors. Tried the trial of Sentinel, it too shows probable failure. Seatools, like waylandc shows both tests available as passes. Spin Rite found no bad sectors, yet Sentinel does. I created an image recently using Windows built in tool, and I have a couple of questions on what I think should be my procedure. I will make a new image again, but correct me if I'm wrong: if I make little or no changes to the overall setup between now and the time I receive my in warranty replacement drive, one or two recent images ought to be good, yes?

Also, My current drive is partitioned into 4 partitions, one of which is the HP installed recovery partition. When I did the image I noticed it copied both my c: and k: drives (k: is where I install most of my programs, just created Program Files folders there.) My l:data drive is backed up on two external drives and this laptop I am writing this on. Is the fact that I am partitioned going to cause me any headaches if I choose to re-image the new drive? Do I have to install the drive, which presumably will have a licensed copy of Windows on it, partition using Easeus Partition Manager, then attempt to restore the image like Windows help says I can, by running the applet from Control Panel? (I have the instructions for this printed out.) I recall once trying to restore an image on my old, dying computer, and going through the instructions exactly, and then being stopped by an error stating that I can't restore an image to the same c: drive my os was on!

Or, will the re-image automatically replace the partitions as they were?

The second part of my plan is to wipe the old drive before I have to ship it back to HP. (Yep, they want it back, and I have to give them credit card info as "collateral" as well, for a warranted item!) I already d/l'd a couple of easy to use free tools based on what I found here in the Lounge to wipe the disk. Will I somehow be able to do that after I install the new drive, y'know, be able to see that drive just as a drive that I can wipe?

More to follow...

Thanks folks. Sorry for the long post.
    HP Pavillion Elite HPE-127 c-b Intel Core i5 750 2.67 Ghz 8 GB RAM one 2 TB Hdd, and one 3 TB Hdd with one 3TB external HDD Win 7 Home Premium 64, GeForce GT 220 1 Gig Vram; Sony Vaio laptop with Intel i3 330-M 2.13 Ghz 4 GB RAM 500 GB Hdd Win 7 Home Premium 64; not to mention an HTC One (the older model) and a Nexus 7(2013)

--------------------------------

Dogs Aren't Our Whole Life
    BUT
    They Make Our Life Whole.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by survivor78 View Post

I recall once trying to restore an image on my old, dying computer, and going through the instructions exactly, and then being stopped by an error stating that I can't restore an image to the same c: drive my os was on!

Or, will the re-image automatically replace the partitions as they were?

The second part of my plan is to wipe the old drive before I have to ship it back to HP. Will I somehow be able to do that after I install the new drive, y'know, be able to see that drive just as a drive that I can wipe?
    survivor,
    Hello.... You don't say which program your using to Image\Recover..You can recover you Hd as long as the "Image" is on a different disk or partition.I don't use the Windows "Flavor" as it is "Clumsy and Clunky" as compared to even the free programs available..Generally your Imaging software will allow you to recover any partition or the whole "Shooten match" , and will arrange your partitions however you want.

Once you have successfully recovered to your new HD .... connect your old HD, either reconnect in place of the new or through a USB type of thing...and use 3rd party program to erase the data on the disk . If you reconnect it in place of your new HD you will have to do this from a 3rd party boot disk ...and then reinstall your new HD.

Windows should not complain about the new HD ...If it does just give MS a call and they will help you out with the activation. Regards Fred
    Last edited by Just Plain Fred; 2012-04-05 at 15:04.
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Plain Fred View Post
    survivor,
    Hello.... You don't say which program your using to Image\Recover..You can recover you Hd as long as the "Image" is on a different disk or partition.I don't use the Windows "Flavor" as it is "Clumsy and Clunky" as compared to even the free programs available..Generally your Imaging software will allow you to recover any partition or the whole "Shooten match" , and will arrange your partitions however you want.

Once you have successfully recovered to your new HD .... connect your old HD, either reconnect in place of the new or through a USB type of thing...and use 3rd party program to erase the data on the disk . If you reconnect it in place of your new HD you will have to do this from a 3rd party boot disk ...and then reinstall your new HD.

Windows should not complain about the new HD ...If it does just give MS a call and they will help you out with the activation. Regards Fred
    Thanks for the response, Fred.

You are right, I neglected to mention that what I used to make the image(s) is Windows built in tool, which is where I printed out the instructions to restore the image by using the Control Panel applet. I also have Roxio Creator Pro, which I will also create an image with, just in case.

As far as the "USB type of thing", do you mean a SATA to USB type of adapter?

Also, as I am creating a Roxio Back on Track image of the entire drive and placing it on my 2 TB external USB hdd, I realize that drive may not be seen by the Roxio rescue boot CD I made. Is there something I need to change, perhaps in the BIOS, to make sure that drive can be seen with no OS installed, before a restoral of the image can take place? I assume that I will be able to test the rescue cd to make sure it works but am concerned that even if it does work, will I have to start the restoral process to see if the external drive can be seen.

Thanks again for the info!
    HP Pavillion Elite HPE-127 c-b Intel Core i5 750 2.67 Ghz 8 GB RAM one 2 TB Hdd, and one 3 TB Hdd with one 3TB external HDD Win 7 Home Premium 64, GeForce GT 220 1 Gig Vram; Sony Vaio laptop with Intel i3 330-M 2.13 Ghz 4 GB RAM 500 GB Hdd Win 7 Home Premium 64; not to mention an HTC One (the older model) and a Nexus 7(2013)

BUT

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Also, as I am creating a Roxio Back on Track image of the entire drive and placing it on my 2 TB external USB hdd, I realize that drive may not be seen by the Roxio rescue boot CD I made. Is there something I need to change, perhaps in the BIOS, to make sure that drive can be seen with no OS installed, before a restoral of the image can take place? I assume that I will be able to test the rescue cd to make sure it works but am concerned that even if it does work, will I have to start the restoral process to see if the external drive can be seen.
    survivor,
    Hello... If you created the Image using windows ..you have to use it to recover... I'm not at all familliar with "Roxio" I can recommend another that many at the "Lounge" use called Macrium Reflect (free) it has many Tools and i have used it along with Acronis True Image 2010 V7046 to do both Cloning and Imaging ... Done hundreds of Images and scores of recoveries ...neither of them have never failed me.. Can't ever remember if anyone has any experience using "Roxio" Windows Backup ..will work ...but like i said ...not worth the time. If you want "info" on Macrium post back and many here can help with questions... Also you can search the lounge for Macrium threads ...

By "USB" thing i am referring to a hard drive connected to your PC using a docking station, or one as you have stated connect to some spare SATA port.

To make sure that your PC can boot ito a "Rescue Disk" Just place the CD in your CD\DVD RW drive and re-boot.. IF your BIOS is not set to "look for" a CD it will just boot as normal ... You can change your settings in BIOS by entering it before your PC boots up on mine it's entered by <F10=Setup>... Post back if you need more info

No you shouldn't have to actually "Pull the Trigger" to test ... on Macrium or Acronis you can just make sure that the program "Sees" the Image ... you don't have to actually restore. Regards Fred
    Last edited by Just Plain Fred; 2012-04-06 at 17:03.
    PlainFred

Thanks
    Ok, I was able to boot from the Roxio created rescue disk, but couldn't see my Seagate 2TB backup drive! I could see all other drives (all my partitions) including my older Seagate 400GB Firewire connected drive, just not the one I actually need. Argh!

Any ideas?

BUT

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Ok, I was able to boot from the Roxio created rescue disk, but couldn't see my Seagate 2TB backup drive! I could see all other drives (all my partitions) including my older Seagate 400GB Firewire connected drive, just not the one I actually need. Argh!

Any ideas?
    survivor,
    Hello...Yes some Imaging Programs can't deal with 2TB HD's....Try Some of the Free other programs ... Easeus Todo Backup, Macrium Reflect..As i said, i do not know anyone who used or uses "Roxio" ....Regards Fred

PS: Make sure "Plug and Play" (in BIOS) is activated
    PlainFred

Thanks
    Thanks again, Fred,

I do have Easeus Todo backup. Here's my problem: I always have a backup of my most important files, like my music and photos, amd documents. Mostly, all else I could deal with if lost, and start from scratch again with the new drive. But, I obviously would rather be able to restore from a good image the entire drive. Do you think it might be better to clone the drive after receiving and installing the new one?

Ya gotta love software instructions. They always make things look so simple and that all will run nicely, but it has been my experience that when I have needed to restore an image or even use Windows Restore function, I have never been able to get these things to actually do what they're supposed to. I have been using computers for decades and have always been able to start from scratch if need be. It is somewhat time consuming but has always worked nicely for me. this time, however, I really would like to reimage the drive. I am a bit concerned also about how the os will be after I get the new drive. If I image over that drive, and it doesn't work for some reason, what then? By that time I will have blown up the new drive by rewriting over what it comes with. In situations like that I usually opt to start over, but I really don't wan to do that this time. I want to finally get a backup to work for me!

BUT

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

I do have Easeus Todo backup. Here's my problem: I always have a backup of my most important files, like my music and photos, amd documents. Mostly, all else I could deal with if lost, and start from scratch again with the new drive. But, I obviously would rather be able to restore from a good image the entire drive. Do you think it might be better to clone the drive after receiving and installing the new one?

I want to finally get a backup to work for me!
    survivor,

Easeus is also a good program ...have only used it a few times ,so I'm not as familiar with it as Macrium or Acronis.. Just make sure that you Burn the rescue disk and check to see if it works with your OS...

"Cloning" is another way to restore your OS on a new drive The down side is that it will copy "one for one" ...all sectors even blank\empty ones. An Image will "compress" your OS to somewhere around 40% to 60% of original size... so you can easily store more Images.. I have them going back years ... most will only keep the old for a month or so, if done weekly.... but I'm "OCD" about them

Spend some time learning your program ...Post any questions .and will try to help ...Well worth the time spent... Regards Fred
    PlainFred

Thanks
    Follow up:

So, I received the new hard drive and installed it quite easily. However, when I tried to use the image Todo made it didn't work. Oh well, that still left cloning the drive. After a bit of research on the 'Net I found out I needed a second SATA cable and an adapter for the power cable to SATA. All good. So, using the Todo boot disc I created and after having installed the old drive on the SATA 2 port I cloned the drive. After several hours upon completion I rebooted and was pleased to start Windows right up and found that I could see the new and the old drives, all eight partitions. So, after making sure I needed nothing more off the old drive using Easeus Partition Master I wiped the drive. That took all day and night (I wiped 7 times!), but when I woke up the next morning and peeked in, there was an error message, something about the "device wasn't working because an expected driver wasn't found." After a bit of thinking it dawned on me that the new drive's partitions had drive letters other than "c". I had the HP provided rescue discs which gave me the option to repair the Windows installation, so after I removed the old drive completely I did a repair. It worked, I guess by renaming the correct Windows partition to "c". So after all that I put my really old Western Digital 2 GB drive in and all is well, although I did have to rename most of my drives BACK to the drive letters they should have been, Whew!

Now, I have one final dilemma. My Seagate 400 GB external Fire Wire drive has stopped being recognized by Windows. It used to be my drive n: and it contains a backup of my whole music collection. Now when I first started Windows after cloning on the new drive a bunch of drivers re-installed themselves, with no problems, and if I recall correctly, in the past I simply plugged the drive in, powered it up and, voilá, new drive. This was done on two different computers over the years I've had the drive but now no joy. Nothing in Device Manager shows incorrect, and the 1394 port is there.

So, once again I await the usual profligacy of information there is here in these fora.

BUT

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast