New Lounger
    Thanks

"Build a complete Windows 7 safety net"

Last June (2011) I followed the above named article (Build a complete etc.) and used a 300Gb internal hard drive as the backup location. I did not realize that the space would be eaten up so quickly. I now have only 18Gb remaining on the location disk.
    My question(s) are: What do I have to do to replace the backup disk with a 1Tb internal hard drive? Do I just switch the drives and go through the same procedure again. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

By the way this is Windows 7 Professional.

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    Hello,

Welcome as a new poster.

You may not need a new drive. I'm not sure how you're backing up but if you are doing incrementals or are keeping a series of full backups you have options.
    1. If doing full backups and you have more than 3 generations I'd just delete the oldest to make room for the next one.
    2. If you are doing incrementals every so often, before your disk gets full, you should take a full image and then delete the incrementals.

I have a 250Gb WD Passport drive that I use to back up my laptop and it holds 3 generations of full image backups w/o a problem. Of course if you have a lot of video/music YMMV.

Good Luck.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RetiredGeek View Post
    Hello,

Welcome as a new poster.

You may not need a new drive. I'm not sure how you're backing up but if you are doing incrementals or are keeping a series of full backups you have options.
    1. If doing full backups and you have more than 3 generations I'd just delete the oldest to make room for the next one.
    2. If you are doing incrementals every so often, before your disk gets full, you should take a full image and then delete the incrementals.

I have a 250Gb WD Passport drive that I use to back up my laptop and it holds 3 generations of full image backups w/o a problem. Of course if you have a lot of video/music YMMV.

Good Luck.
    I do not actually know how I am backing up. I just followed the procedure from Windows Secrets: "BUILD A COMPLETE WINDOWS SAFETY NET". At 68 years old (a retired pharmacist) I think I have forgotten most of what I used to know about computers. I do know that when I set it up last June, it was to backup every Tuesday. I do not understand "delete oldest incrementals". I have never actually looked at the backups.

When I started this, I had an extra 298Gb drive on my computer (from a former computer) and just did a long format on it and followed the above mentioned procedure. If you could give me more basic instructions (or tell me where to go and look for info) I would sure appreciate it.

Thanks.

Thanks
    Can you use Windows Explorer to get a look at your backup drive, then use the Snipping Tool to capture a screenshot of its contents and post that back here? It will give us a better idea of what you are dealing with.
    Create a new drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"Let them that don't want it have memories of not gettin' any." "Gratitude is riches and complaint is poverty and the worst I ever had was wonderful." Brother Dave Gardner "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else." Sir Thomas Robert Deware. "The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?" Captain Jack Sparrow.
    Unleash Windows

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bbearren View Post
    Can you use Windows Explorer to get a look at your backup drive, then use the Snipping Tool to capture a screenshot of its contents and post that back here? It will give us a better idea of what you are dealing with.
    I will try.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    system image.png

Is this what you were talking about?

Thanks
    Yes, that's a good start. Now if you can get an Explorer view of the SystemImageBackup folder's contents that same way and post it here.
    Create a new drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"Let them that don't want it have memories of not gettin' any." "Gratitude is riches and complaint is poverty and the worst I ever had was wonderful." Brother Dave Gardner "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else." Sir Thomas Robert Deware. "The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?" Captain Jack Sparrow.
    Unleash Windows

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Do these help?
    Attached Images Attached Images

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes, that's a good start. Now if you can get an Explorer view of the SystemImageBackup folder's contents that same way and post it here.
    backupfolder.png

Thanks
    The highlighted file in your post #8 and the size of the file in the status bar at the bottom (66.0GB) makes it appear to me that it is a drive image. 66GB is a lot for an incremental backup.

I'm not that familiar with Windows 7 imaging and backup tools; I use BootIt and a completely different backup regimen. I use only drive images, no incrementals.

Hopefully someone more familiar with the Windows 7 tools will weigh in here and enlighten us. If (big if) those VHD files in the Backup folder are image files, it would be a simple matter to just save the latest one, and delete the rest.

But as I said, I'm not familiar enough to make that jump.

Unleash Windows

12. The Following User Says Thank You to bbearren For This Useful Post:

bossford (2012-04-02)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks. I appreciate the help.