2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Eudora version 7.1.0.9 on Windows 7

Sorry if this is the wrong spot, wasn't sure if I should post here or under Windows 7?

I'm trying to use the older Eudora but need a help file for it. When I click on 'Help' am told something about a download from MS, follow that link to WinHlp32exe but someone that knows more than I do about Win.7 said I should use the x86 even though I'm running 64bit so it wouldn't harm my PC.
    I tried that & popup said 'wrong version'. Sorry again, it's been hours ago & I don't remember the exact wording.
    So my question is, what harm will come from using the 64bit one? I can't take a chance because this machine is just 2 weeks old.

Thank you.

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Harm? None at all. For 64-bit Windows 7, download and install the 64-bit version of WinHlp32.exe: Windows Help program (WinHlp32.exe) for Windows 7

Bruce

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Bruce, will give it a try. I couldn't understand why I was told to use the other one but haven't been able to contact my source about it.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I did it, & now have the 'Help File' altho' I do get a popup about 'problem running macros' which was stated on the download page but had no idea (& still don't) what macro means.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Maybe should have started new topic? since this is a different question, even tho' it still pertains to Eudora 7.1 on Win 7?

New problem: I had Eudora installed in a new email account that I'd opened as a temp. test account to try out DreamMail which I didn't like so uninstalled it then installed Eudora for a test drive. I do want to keep Eudora but that test account seemed to be a magnet for spam mail so uninstalled Eudora so I could reinstall to use my regular acct. with it. Well . . . when it installed it still showed the test acct. as the 'dominant'. Does that mean that I didn't get a complete uninstall of Eudora & maybe should try Revo this time? Or should I call my ISP to cancel the test account then uninstall, reinstall Eudora again?
    Boy, it sucks to be so darn computer stupid.

Thanks
    Just a little experience:

I had a friend, who wanted to use Eudora, but his Anti-Spyware program kept deleting it, because it DID contain Spyware.
    I thought it might just be a Fluke, so I installed it on my own PC. Sure nuff, my Anti-Spyware program promptly deleted it.

On Windows 7 and 8 (both) Mozilla Thunderbird has become a very popular Email program.
    I can activate Windows Mail on Win-7, but not on Win-8, so, on Win-8 I have Thunderbird installed and it's working Great.

Cheers Mate!
    The Doctor
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

Lounger
    Thanks
    When you uninstall Eudora, make sure you delete any remaining folders that you may have put in custom locations (in My Documents etc.) on installation. Any data in these folders will be lost on deletion of course, but if it's just a test account, you won't care).

If you do not want to repeat the uninstall: In the Personalities tab in the left-hand, docked pane in Eudora, you can simply right-click on Dominant and change the details to match your main account details. This will tell Eudora to only download mail from that account. The test account you set up with your ISP will then be disconnected as far as Eudora is concerned (or you can delete it via your ISP account page).

Eudora is extremely flexible and will take a lot of chopping and changing, since most of its data is stored in text format. I have been using it for donkeys years and haven't found anything better.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Definitely no spyware in Eudora, assuming you are downloading a genuine copy from a reputable site. The free version used to include a device that displayed ads, but this no longer functions since Eudora is no longer supported. It may be this mechnaism that is triggering the anti-spyware programme. If you download per above recommendations, you won't have any problems.

I am using it on Win7 64 and it works perfectly.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Marp, I changed the Personality to new info & all is well there. Now I just need to get my pea brain squared away as to 'Folders' vs 'Mailboxes'

grits

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    @Marp, I suppose since you've used it so long, you have tweaked it so much that if I were to ask you 'newbie' questions you'd be lost about at least some things? I have read the manuals & tutorials but can't seem to find some things that are really confusing, partly due to being new to Eudora but most likely due to being 'puter illiterate even tho' I've been using one for 8 or more years . At this very moment the 2 that come to mind are the terms Tabbed, Docked or Floating Windows & that mailbox titled 'Recent' which right now is confusing me & wondering if I can get rid of it but bring it back later IF I so choose?
    Don't mean to be such a pest & will try to keep digging around for answers myself.
    Thank you,
    grits
    oops, have also tried reading the Eudora forum

Lounger
    Thanks
    No problem (sorry I took so long...)

I seem to remember that tabbed, docked and floating are just ways to organize the mailboxes etc. in the interface. If you right-click in the mailboxes window, you'll get a pop-up that allows you to set the position of the tabs (mine are at the bottom) and allow or disallow docking (mine is allowed). The tabs will let you have several mailboxes open and you can then just click the tab to bring it to the front. Or, you can close the ones you're not using and have the inbox featured. If yu click the "downsize window" button for a mailbox when it's open, you'll see all the open mailboxes floating in the main window. Click on full size and that mailbox will occupy the whole window again.

The "Recent" mailbox is just a shortcut to the mailboxes opened recently. I never use it, it just sits there. You might be able to get rid of it by fiddling with the eudora.ini or one of the other files. That's the great thing with Eudora, you can really get under the hood and start ripping stuff out... just make sure you don't end up with the dreaded "left-over bolt".

For info, in the Eudora program directory's Extrastuff sub-directory, you can copy the esoteric.epi file to the main directory to get access to other settings. See the appropriate txt file in the Extrastuff directory. This allows you to use Eudora with programs like K9 anti-spam.

The only drawback you'll find with Eudora is that it doesn't handle rich HTML and CSS style sheets. If someone sends you what they consider to be a wonderful-looking e-mail with background images and half a dozen different, exotic fonts composed using Outlook or Word, then you'll just get Chinese.

If somebody could come up with an add-on to get around this, I'd gladly pay for it to be able to keep using Eudora!