4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

SSD Optimisations in Windows 7

Elsewhere in the forums a number of us have asked a variety of questions about how to tweak/adjust an SSD for best performance, longest life, etc. Today I found a Microsoft Engineering Blog that gave me a lot of answers. Essentially, Windows 7 makes all of the necessary adjustments automatically once it knows that it's installed on an SSD and that the drive is performing adequately. How does it know this? It's simple, really. Install Win 7 plus any needed video/graphics drivers and motherboard chipset drivers. Windows 7 often installs all those for you, but you can check in Device Manager to be sure. Once that's done then you should run the Windows Experience Index "Performance Assessment". This tells Windows everything it needs to know to optimise for your SSD. I was amazed at how many things it will adjust for you. Here's the link to the blog. It's worth reading through if you've ever wondered about how to get the best from an SSD.
    http://blogs.msdn.com/b/e7/archive/2...rives-and.aspx

Thanks
    Not a bad article, but there are also many other tweaks that can be done as well. But If you have a decent windows index score those extra tweaks may not be needed.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes, the blog is interesting and informative. Clearly, the MSFT engineers spent a good deal of time trying out this, that and the other to find a good balance for optimising SSDs. And I like the way they explained the reason or purpose of the tweaks, especially some of the things they left alone!