Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    New Lounger
    Thanks
    have big horsepower here... very big. I looked briefly at XnView but did not know it. Will look for FastStone unless you wish to post a link.

thanks very much.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    tell me, what is the difference here

FastStone Image Viewer 4.6

http://faststone-image-viewer.en.softonic.com/

and this

FastStone Capture 6.9
    http://faststone-capture.en.softonic.com/

I use CS3 but usually I do the basic processing, image cleaning in the Canon software, grind out the tiff from the Canon software and then finish edit and metadata in CS3

So I am actually looking for very fast solution for viewing and getting through archives quickly nd quite obviously Microsoft is-- incompetent as normal. every upgrade is a downgrade syndrome.

ok, I've known MS since 1984 as grad at UW-Seattle info science and I can quite honestly say that there were much better things out there. I am original yuppie-drop-out. Seriously. in 1984, I was running stat analysis on US Census raw data and migrating it through Lotus123 and that sort of thing. And although MS had and used us as lab mice for software that went clunk in the night, they could never ever bother to develop a decent indexing or search engine. Now they're on Yahoos--but actually UW GSLIS or info sci offered them the possibility and resources, so I have zit love for MS. My entire knowledge of MS is clunk in the night and bad support, stupid interfaces, bad indexing, useless help, useless error messages, vanishing data, etc-- for me that is MS. abs no love lost. Is very personal frustration. If you work with huge databases like OCLC or Dialog and then funk about with MS, you really wonder how and why it became the monopoly because it doesn't deliver. Just sayin" not a programmer, just a frustrated user.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    well softonic is not good place-- I have no love for websites that override unticked tick boxes to install their bloody unwanted toolbars... this is bad news. Have no love for add-on toolbars whose only purpose is to spy.

mart44
    I'd say Picasa might fit the bill. Thumbnails that can be resized. They also stay put when dragged around, so they can be stored in any order. Lots of options in the right-click menus.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I always go to Download.com (CNET) if I can get the file/program there. They've obfuscated the process a little as well but not as bad as the others.
    FastStone image viewer is the full thumbnail browser program.

Also would say that Picasa is good, they just came out with version 3.9 and it has an A-B button now where you can compare edit with original...so if the basic adjustments in Picasa were adequate, that's very useful to some...and as stated, very adjustable thumbnail layout though one has to switch over to the Picasa viewer for full screen preview...some of my family members use it exclusively because then it can keep track of the photo database and tell you exactly which photos on a camera card are already on the computer and don't need to be imported again...useful when the collection gets into the tens of thousands...don't care how good anyone's memory is!

Not sure what would fit your needs the best but hopefully you can try one or more out and find a much better option than Win 7 by itself.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    picasa takes forever to load... had picasa as original user and the updater constantly interrupts. deleting google services from anything but very restricted usage. picasa is nice if you deal with small library but not 7tb.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12