Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

Explorer view issues

am so horribly frustrated. So much time is wasted on basic things in win7

who needs 3year-old idiotic icons?

we transferred my disks out of George/ XP Professional to new win7/ 2010 Office

there's no love lost.

1. MS in infinite wisdom locked all my folders and files to read-only. even the registrations are identical. am photographer.

2. not just disks from George but all 3 terrabytes as well

there are about 7tb of images.
    1. the folder view system on win7/ 2010 is juvenile crap. I need archival management for large photography files--so every day I am wasting hours and hours of time just fighting with the stupid icons.

I need thumbnails--quick flip for entire folder as in XP so that when I am checking folders for content, I can get through quickly and see what's there. Not some stupid viewer one image at a time...duh? Microsoft regresses.

Like normal any MS viewer is perfect catastrophe... ok, so now they have a better way to magnify something with a slider. Great innovative advancement.

and how can I get rid of those horrific crappy oversized childish icons on desktop.

with XP I cold tailor everthing in layout and did, so my desktop icons were 17 or 18 and arranged neatly according to their functions. Now I have microsoft infantile icons... and is very very distressing to me as Microsoft has no aesthetics and it is my computer, not Ballmer's.

I don't care if Ballmer spends his whole day making bad paper airplanes out of XP professional and playing with stupid large icons in win7-- I need fast practical thumbnail flipping power so I can change a simple list over into thumbnails to check the folders and get out.

I also need a way to make the old-fashioned xp listing layout so I can quickly check folders whether they are processed. Each time you close the damn folders in win7, they revert back to their childish icons. If you try to transfer a folder, such as a delete folder from one folder to the next, they revert back to their stupid childish icons. It's huge waste of time if you do photography because the entire day you are fighting with balmy thinking and stupid icons.

I need the capacity of ordering my folders so I know images per column, quick flip thumbnails and easy preview-- now if I need to know the damn size of the image I'm looking at I have to open properties, hunt for a tab and do two clicks... in xp, I only needed to glance over on the side panel and I knew I had 800 x 533 at 72 dpi and not full res image.

by being clever over there, they are ever so stupid. sorry but it seems that there is never a time when Microsoft can go from one system or downgrade to next upgrade without screwing over their users.

Is there a way to make the xp quick thumbnail flip?

and all told its about 8TB of images and folders that I am going through and each time I have to reset my preferences, I am really, truly angry because if they went and did this kind of crap over in Corbis on Corbis photographers... well, they wouldn't.

the whole stupidity of photo library, document library--I'd love to delete. It interferes with dowloading and file management. Just more stress.

I can't do nothing without win7 subverting it to some stupid microsoft micro-management.

Sometimes I've reset my permissions to use folders more than 3x and still find that win7 overrides and reverts to read-only. It's stressful and eats huge time. If only limited to disks in Hank, then it would be manageable 4TB, but adding externals, it's never-ending battle.

Do people over in Microsoft actually work? even if they put little spots on the back of the stupid icons, we could play dominoes.

I will have new motherboard put in George and go back to XP. it's too much a frigging hassle with win7.

George would freeze and not shut down, so after shutting him off, he wouldn't restart for 6-12 hours and techie says this is motherboard problem. XP is so much more efficient to deal with than win7.

maybe not as good opsys, but at least no frigging childish icons and I can tailor my layouts to my needs basically.

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    thanks for response.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pogomcl View Post
    thanks for response.
    Did you have a 90 minute deadline?

It took me nearly that long to read your 725 word question (including trying to work out who George and Hank were!)

I believe these two tutorials may answer your question, if you have the patience to read them:

Windows 7 - Thumbnail Previews - Enable or Disable

Windows 7 - Folder View - Apply to Folders

Bruce

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I;ve done that so many times I am disgusted.
    No, I don't have 90 minute deaedline but I get tired of the endless bs and resetting each folder every single bloddy time I open or move it.

|It is an incredible huge waste of time, especially if you are trying to get through folders quickly to find images. If you are playing games with 500 images, ok, you can do it; but a couple thousands per shoot is different matter.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    If you could describe your main issue briefly but more exactly, I'm sure someone here would be able to help you. (I have trouble interpreting "make the xp quick thumbnail flip".)

Bruce

Thanks
    Are you meaning something like this?

Thumbnails.png

This view can be flipped to details using the first dropdown on the upper right of the lower toolbar.
    Last edited by bbearren; 2012-04-02 at 11:50.
    Create a new drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"Let them that don't want it have memories of not gettin' any." "Gratitude is riches and complaint is poverty and the worst I ever had was wonderful." Brother Dave Gardner "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else." Sir Thomas Robert Deware. "The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?" Captain Jack Sparrow.
    Unleash Windows

New Lounger
    Thanks
    yes, something like that but if I click on the thumbnail, I will see the format on side bar or be able to retrieve it esily with a right-click exif viewer... I want to be able to define row length and icon/ thumbnail size.

I wrote explanation of microsoft glitch but then clicked yur image and so deleted my comments

basic glitch in win7 is not efficient or quick means to flip list into thumbnails and no ability to specify size or how many per row..

in xp I spent a day just setting up computer layout: everything. Font, background color, wall paper, frame, width of taskbar, as well as exact size of icon and thumbnail size and respective fonts and color and size...

it has to do partly with aesthetics, but much more that I have to work with this computer, so it had better be neat house.
    Folder layout makes huge impact on workflow. My average folder is 170-200 raw data files _ low res jpgs which I grind out at 800 x 533 @72 dpi. and then all th tiffs and their related finished file formats according to need.

I can go to win 7 list view menu and reset each and every folder manually many times and win7 reverts to icons. Icons are useless to me.

If I am moving deletion or submission or a selection folder from 2008_05_25 into 2008_05_26-- the list layout inside the folder reverts to despicable icons usually s I get to reset it again.

if I forget to first change the layout in 2008_05_26 and I've grabbed the deletion folder to transfer over with ctrl X and when I open the 05_26 folder and see icons-- my natural instinct is to open menu and change list layout. however microsoft is glitchy and you cannot do that without nullifying your Ctrl+X command and so you lose your carry over folder because the ctrl V has been invalidated, so you have to go back to the previous folder to pick it up again.

it wastes incredible time and if you've done this 10-50x in a day, you are soon quite frustrated and angry at microsoft incompetence.

usually folders have a tendency to revert back to the unwanted icons and it takes forever to scroll down through them or realign them.

It's incredible hassle. So ideally, I should like some way to impose my old xp settings on win7 so I can get through my work effectively.

when you deal with 100-200 photos--is not a problem, but thousands--it becomes a major hassle an Microsoft tends to be a major hassle anyway. So Microsoft finally put exif data inside the properties box--wow-- but takes 2 clicks or more, but picasa could do that with right-click.

Mary C Legg / AGE
    http://www.agefotostock.com/age/ingl...=mcg&iniciar=Y

Thanks
    Explorer is not at all conducive to working with large groups of photos. Unfortunately, Microsoft chose to take most of the customizations out of Explorer. Yes, one can get all the intimate details of an individual image, but it takes a couple of right-clicks and a bit of scrolling to get there.

I fear that in order to work on your image files in the way you describe, you will need some 3rd party software that is in tune with the way you need to work.
    Create a new drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"Let them that don't want it have memories of not gettin' any." "Gratitude is riches and complaint is poverty and the worst I ever had was wonderful." Brother Dave Gardner "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else." Sir Thomas Robert Deware. "The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?" Captain Jack Sparrow.
    Unleash Windows

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Owl, you are so wise-- do you know of something that has good reputation, no spyware and fairly easy to use. I have Canon software, but it's not really designed for that at all. I need something lightweight.

"The Owl and the Pussycat went to sea..."

Thanks
    If you have Windows 7 Professional (or higher) you can download virtual PC and XP mode from Microsoft for free. It's not available for Home Premium, but it might be worth the Anytime Upgrade price to keep your ability to work in the mode to which you have become accustomed; no real learning curve, just get back to it.

For personal use I prefer MGI PhotoSuite 4, simply because I've been using it for a number of years. It does have an organizing feature, but I can't say how well it would suit working with the volume you need. My owl (a burrowing owl, actually) was done with PhotoSuite from a personal shot and then I used Photoshop to make the background transparent.

I visited your link; very nice work.

Unleash Windows

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hard for me to tell exactly what you want but I saw custom size and # per row in there...there are much MUCH better photo handling/organizers than what Win 7 has to offer, even with Photo Gallery live. You might try XnView and FastStone Image Viewer. I like FastStone a bit better than XnView but you can customize the layout and icon size and attached info six ways to Sunday with XnView and even give each a nice neutral gray background, truly great managers for the price (free). You can also run more than one instance of XnView at a time quite easily so if you have the horsepower, that's also a great management tool, especially if running with more than one monitor.

Lounger
    Thanks
    I prefer IrfanView, lightweight and customizable
    - Eelco

*** Puzzle me! ***

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    basic glitch in win7 is not efficient or quick means to flip list into thumbnails and no ability to specify size or how many per row..
    You can scale thumbnails up or down to virtually any size; see the demo in the first 30 seconds of this video: View and print picture thumbnails

I can go to win 7 list view menu and reset each and every folder manually many times and win7 reverts to icons. Icons are useless to me.
    How to Change a Folder Template in Windows 7

How to "Apply to Folders" a Specific Folder View to All Folders with the Same Folder Template in Windows 7

So Microsoft finally put exif data inside the properties box--wow-- but takes 2 clicks or more,
    You can choose to display Exif data in Windows 7 Explorer at View, Choose Details.

(Or download a separate freeware program: Exif Data Viewer or Opanda IExif).

Bruce
    Last edited by BruceR; 2012-04-03 at 16:59.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    That's pretty good on small batches, but what is your experience with thumbnail generation with large folder populations? Its been nothing but terrible for me. Its slow, or slower, your choice, and it doesn't generate beyond the visual window pane until one scrolls to reveal and after a couple thousand or less, it craps out altogether; other than that...and XnView thumbnail info can be as much as EXIF, IPTC, XMP, GPS, Shortcut, Automatic Rotation, Embedded Thumbnail, and ICC profile...of course for almost everyone, that's way up on the overkill side, but I like options up the wazoo and steady preformance on any population of images.
    That's my main beef with IrfanView as well, it doesn't handle large populations per folder well, a little better than Win7 but not much.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    oh Owl, that's what the techie was told to buy and instead stuck me with home premium... so I am waiting to have Gorge/ xp pro brought back to life.

am very disgusted with the techie. he made several very expensive mistakes and then refused to own up to them, but win7 is not my cup of tea. It has so many nagging glitches that really I'd be very happy to return to xp. I can see why businesses really hate the shift because it is painful. It's such a headache.

yes, I do good work, but it is very time-consuming and demanding work. Not the jolly little pocket camera iStocker and it eats computer energy and resources. The techie comes over here and rips me for using 3 browsers or having 15 windows and 109 tabs open, but he's not doing taxonomy or identification and all that metadata is just part of my work. It really eats time, so vry important how folders lay out and archival mangement is very critical toget through work effectively. Thanks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast