Thanks

Switching to Landscape from Portrait view

My laptop went into the repair shop for a few days, so I was using my Windows Phone for everything, including browsing. What I noticed, was that the phone seemed to have a mind of it's own when it came from going from portrait to landscape. I spoke to both Verizon and HTC, and they didn't have a clue as to why.
    After a no resolution from either, I kept playing and noticed that if after turning the phone to landscape the page didn't switch, I could make (force) it to landscape by simply tilting the phone downward (Towards me) and then back. I also posted in the Windows Phone Forum, and their answer was what I had also discovered.
    My question is this: Is this similar in all smart phone or just something weird with the HTC, or the Windows platform?

Thanks
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,100 Times in 1,012 Posts
    I am not sure what you mean, but here is my take. Some apps or app screens do not support landscape. For those who do, moving the phone from portrait to landscape has always worked in my Nokia Lumia 800.

Thanks
    What I found out through the Windows Phone Forum was that if a page doesn't flip from portrait to landscape as it should, was: hold the phone in landscape, and tilt it slightly towards me and then back to landscape. Weird I know, but it seems to work.
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)

Administrator
    Thanks
    My experience has been that some apps simply do not support landscape. Your suggested trick doesn't seem to work for me.

Thanks
    Ok, lets back the truck up a bit. As you stated "Some apps or app screens do not support landscape" Here are examples that worked and then didn't work.
    As a live tile I have MSNBC.com. When i opened it, and then moved my phone to landscape the page would stay in portrait. The same would happen when I brought up this forum. Both of these sites will view nicely in landscape. But as I mentioned at the outset, this HTC phone as far as the accelerometer goes, has a mind of it's own. Hence the above problem? (annoyance). So now when a web page, or for that matter my e-mail won't go into landscape as it should, the above mentioned "work around" takes care of it.
    Thanks John

Administrator
    Thanks
    I don't think I ever experienced that with my phone. Maybe it's your model .

Thanks
    Oh I'm positive of that....LOL Of course my experience with HTC phones has been anything but good. The last phone I had from them was also a Windows Mobile, and it would just start the browser on its own, as well as a few other problems. So when Verizon gets the new Nokia phone, this HTC will be history.
    Thanks John

Administrator
    Thanks
    Maybe it will happen soon. The Lumias aren't the ultimate phones, but they are pretty good and they add a few apps exclusive to series which are very interesting.