Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Will we get Gadgets back again?

Windows 8 seems to have lost the gadgets. Right click on the desktop and the menu item is there (Add gadget), but nothing happens.

I quite like them sitting at the side (clock, calender, CPU meter, Network meter and an App Launcher). What's the alternative?

Cheers

Alan

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Gadgets working here

See attached pic of my Desktop.
    Screenshot.png

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    OK, so the potential is there. So, what happened to mine? I did an update from Windows 7 and they were there before.

Alan

Thanks
    Try to right click on a blank area of the desktop and click Gadgets. The upgrade must not have retained your Gadgets.

Jerry

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Gadgets in 8 work perfectly fine, not "lost", @ all.

No Beta OS should ever be installed, except as, follows:

1. On a spare machine
    2. Virtually
    3. As a dual-boot.
    4. Run from a USB stick

Never as an Upgrade or replacement to an existing, current, non-beta OS. Never on a production machine.
    Nor, BTW, can one move from 1 Beta of an OS to the next or from Beta to RTM, etc... from Build to Build or stage to stage, except by clean installs.

Programs & software must be installed, after a fresh OS install.

Cheers,
    Drew

Thanks
    I take issue with the never as an upgrade. I'll grant you an upgrade will carry over any issues that exist in the original OS, but ifits stable, an upgrade sholed work just fine. That's what the option is there for. I upgraded to Win 8 CP from Windows 7 and don't experiece any unique problems and it saved a lot of program loading and setting issues.

Jerry

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Jerry, allow me to explain...

Yes, true, there are both choices, Custom & Upgrade. However, the Upgrade should only be used when no longer Beta. Furthermore, we have found, that whilst beta-testing Vista & Windows7, Upgrades (often) tended to have 'problems', following the install, but, Customs did not.

The fact of the matter is, Beta OSs should not be used to replace non-beta OSs... it is fine but, only after the (new) OS is no longer Beta.

That is not to say one may 'get away w/ it' but, in general, it is not a good or recommended idea.

Plus, when the next beta, the RC comes along, a clean install will have to be done, anyway; same, when the RTM & GA arrive.

Finally, IF, the existing OS is wiped for a Beta, that expires; ergo, unless one does, indeed, purchase the new OS, this would force a clean install back to the previous OS.

Regards,
    Drew

Thanks
    We will just have to agree to disagree here. I'll agree in most cases a clean install is preferable, but in my case, an upgrade install is a perfectly valid option to quickly get going with Windows 8 and don't consider it "getting away with it". If Microsoft didn't consider it a viable option, they wouldn't have provided it. I do recognize a clean install will be required if I decide to purchase Windows 8 after the beta but that has nothing to do with getting it running for test purposes. I do have an image of my Windows 7 install that I can return to if I choose not to continue with Windows 8.

Jerry

Thanks
    Jerry, The unfortunate thing here is that there are many others that do not know what you know, and do not have an Image of their Win 7 OS, and did not have a clean well behaved install of Win 7 when they just blithely downloaded this free new OS (they also had no idea it was a beta) to upgrade there Win 7 that was acting up (they did not know how to maintain their present OS and did not have a good security plan) so they continued those problems into this brave new world that is Win 8 CP. You are a very experienced PC user who knows exactly what to do when you know what hits the fan. Many of those doing exactly what you did have not a clue what they are doing.

All of a sudden they see this weird looking UI (Metro) and when they finally figure out how to get to the desktop, OMG, there is NO START MENU, OMG.

Now they want to delete Win 8 CP and get back to Win 7. "How do I get back, restore, install (you put the words you think appropriate here) to Win 7". They just will not believe the only recourse is to completely reinstall Win 7 from scratch and OMG they don't have any installation media.

This scenario is occurring over and over and over again. Yes in your case things worked great. That's because of the time you take to do the things you do to make sure your system is working properly. Plus you know how to restore your whole HD when the time comes.

The Win 8 Forums are filled with the above horror stories. We have a few here in the Lounge. There are far more in other forums. I just wish people would take the time to review some of these threads prior to making the jump so they were informed of the consequences of doing so.

My first install was an upgrade, from a well set up, well working Win 8 DP to Win 8 CP. What a mistake. I had one of those V8 moments. You know the ones when you slap yourself in the forehead and call yourself a dummy. I went against my own advice about ALWAYS doing a clean install. I had lots of problems and finally did follow my advice and did a fresh Custom (Clean) install. No further problems and 100 % of my time in Win 8 CP.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    There is a big difference between updating from Windows 7 to Windows 8 CP and upgrading from Windows 8 DP to Windows 8 CP. Unless specifically stated you should NEVER update from once pre-release version to another. It is almost never supported. Usually upgrading from a prior Windows version is supported. Whether it works well or is a good idea are entirely different questions. The answers are almost always a matter of preference. I have had successes and failures upgrading rather than a clean install. With more recent Windows versions upgrading has been a better and more successfule process in my experience.

IMO, if a user chooses to install pre-release software and they do not understand the consequences it is their own fault. That does not mean it is bad for someone else. I have little sympathy for anyone who does not take the time to understand the process.

Joe

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I do hope you are not referring to my installation with all this stuff.

Personally, I have been involved with MS-Windows since V1-0, With NT since v 3.1 beta (I have worked for DEC/Compaq/HP since 1986) and I have been a developer of apps/drivers/O'S's as well (there was some of my code in Data General's RDOS, if anyone goes back that far).

This install of Windows 8 was deliberately done as an upgrade from Windows 7 - on my test machine - so I could evaluate the upgrade long before I did it to my personal home PC.

Now, back to the original topic - what can I do to get gadgets going? Right click on the desktop, click Gadgets and nothing happens.

Alan

Thanks
    Alan, Sorry to have gotten off topic.

It does sound as though your install is corrupt. I have read of many instances where similar problems have occurred and a Custom (Clean) install have solved the problems. These are the little problems that seem to spring up with upgrades. Some people have no problems, some people have little problems, some people have many problems.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    OK - maybe I'll trash it all and try a new install this weekend. Doesn't bode well for the real thing though....

Alan

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Alan,

Will be anxious to hear the results.

Drew

Thanks
    I do not think it bodes one way or the other for the real thing. This is still a beta. It's not even into a RC yet. So far it seem to be more stable, slicker with a larger driver base than Win 7 was at this stage. I believe this actually bodes well for this OS. I will continue to recommend Custom (Clean) installs to anyone who asks. I just believe I get a much more pristine OS with a clean install. Plus this is a great time to upgrade and/or weed out the apps we no longer need or that are way out of date.

I for one am looking forward to the RC. I will clean install it, then install all my apps again, at least those I still want to use.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast