3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

showing "to" instead of "from" in sent items folders in Outlook 2010

In Outlook 2003 I found it easy to show messages in the sent items folders with the "to" address rather than the "from" (ME) address displayed. I have not been able to figure out how to do this with Outlook 2010, even with frustrating scanning of the help facilities and with Google searches. [My "to" folders from Outlook 2003 when I imported them to Outlook 2010 when the pc was new do display as I want, but new subfolders do not.]

Is there a way to do this simple thing?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    With the Sent Items folder displayed, click on the View tab, then click on the Change View drop down, select "Sent To".

Joe

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I must be missing something.

If I go to View and:
    - then select Change View, there is no "Sent To" option.
    - then select "To" farther out in the ribbon, my messages are grouped by "to" rather than by "date", and each message still shows my name in the field displayed.

Administrator
    Thanks
    In the View tab what selections are there when you click "Change View"?

Joe
    Attached Images Attached Images

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    three icons: compact, single, preview
    and
    three text options: manage views, save current view as a new view, and apply current view to other Mail folders.

I tried using that last one when I was on one of my imported subfolders (I create a subfolder for each quarter) that showed messages the way I want, and it showed many folders (e.g., all of my Mail Files) but not the Sent Items folder or its subfolders.

Administrator
    Thanks
    You must have the "Sent Items" folder selected in the navigation bar area to see the other view selections.

Joe

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I see it when I go to "Sent Items" as you suggest. But all of my sent messages are transferred to quarter files (e.g., "1Q12") in the Sent Items folder. In Outlook 2003 I could set any mail folder to various views. It appears that in Outlook 2010, I have lost that flexibility, as the "Sent To" option does not show up in the subfolders, and the normal option to transfer the settings to other files is grayed out when "Sent To" is selected in the "Sent Items" folder.

It appears that Microsoft has added semi-infinite flexibility in areas where I don't need it, and removed one feature that I have used for at least 10 years (with Office 2002 and 2003).

It is interesting, though, that imported folders in the "Sent Items" folder retain their "Sent To" characteristic -- but apparently there is no way to do that in Outlook 2010 (without exporting the folder to Outlook 2003, selecting the desired option, and then importing the folder back into Outlook 2010). This is insane.

Administrator
    Thanks
    I see what you are saying. Try this - Display "Sent Items" folder, go to the View tab, Select Change View | Manage View, then make a copy of the "Send To" view. Create a folder under "Sent Items". I was able to assign the copy of "Send To" to the new folder. You should be too.

Joe

9. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

globalist (2012-04-04)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Many thanks!

I followed your advice, except the last step. Once I had established the "Sent Items" view as an available view, I opened and applied it to several of my subfolders. Then I found that the new view was even available as an icon, so all I had to do was click on a sent items subfolder, click on Change View, and then click on the "Copy of ..." icon!

Many thanks for hanging in there and finding a solution. I suspect that MANY others will want to know your approach, as there are many frustrated queries with a Google search on this topic.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Glad it worked for you. Thanks for posting back.

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    One of the things I did was after selecting hte Sent Items folder, I right-clicked and selected "Add Columns", add the From to my list where I wanted it. Next, I changed the default number of lines to display from 2 to 3, and there I could see both From and To, along with my subject line.

jgh