Thread: chcknet

Lounger
    Thanks

chcknet

Does anyone have insight as to what chcknet is? This runs in the background on my Win 98 SE, Compaq Presario 5600 PC. Today, when I came home, Cacheman showed I only had 8Mg of RAM available, and I usually hold steady around 113. When I brought up my task window, I noticed nearly 30 occurrences of chcknet opened. I think it may be related to Outlook or perhaps one of the messenger programs. My DSL was off, therefore the programs could not broadcast out. Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks!

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: chcknet

It appears that this is from Earthlink.
    see <A target="_blank" HREF=http://core.ecu.edu/psyc/wuenschk/Background######s.htm>http://core.ecu.edu/psyc/wuenschk/Background######s.htm</A> Scroll down to find the note below.

You can see what programs are actually running at any moment by hitting CTRL-ALT-DEL. You will not see all of the startup files running, apparently some of them run and then close. You will see some ######s that were not in your startup group, ######s that must be started by programs that are in your startup group or by applications that you have opened since you booted your computer. Some ######s will appear for just a second or two and then disappear again -- Earthlink's CHCKNET is such a @#$!%.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Lounger
    Thanks

DaveA,

Thanks. Indeed when I performed a search, it was located in the the Earthlink program folder. I have tried to click on it since it is an .exe file but nothing happens. It is not listed in msconfig, so I cannot uncheck it. I'll see if Earthlink has an option for turning it off. Thanks for your help and informative link.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Hi
    Sounds like spyware to me.

Lounger
    Thanks

I am running ZoneAlarm and I did disable it. Zone Alarm lists it as part of the Earthlink program files and labels it as "Internet Connection Verifying Module". I have disabled it and Earthlink and my DSL still work fine. Thanks.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Check with Earthlink and see if product support can(will) help you.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.