2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

is ccleaner's uninstall better than windows'?

I've always uninstalled programs using Windows Add or Remove Programs, but I have, even casually going through folders, seen remnants of programs I had removed. Does CCleaner's uninstall tool do a better job? Is there something else that's better?

Thanks,
    Ellen

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    The uninstall process for any application used by add/remove programs is supplied by the program vendor. Windows is just providing the infrastructure to run it. If there are remnants left behind it is either the uninstall program has an error or there are files that have been created that were not part of the original installation. Those files are typically not automatically removed as the installer has no knowledge of them.

From comments I've seen Ccleaner's uninstall tool does an OK job. There are those who prefer the free version of Revo Uninstaller.

Joe

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    This is my personal take and you will have different opinions. I only use the default uninstallers. I have tried Revo, but unless it was the fact that I tried the free version, other than using the default uninstaller, Revo just asked me to decide additional stuff to remove. That seems like a risky thing to me.

I prefer to stick with the app uninstallers, unless you have a specific issue with an app that the default uninstaller does not solve. Then it may be worth to try something else (be it Revo or CCleaner). Otherwise there is always the risk of going too far.

Just MVHO.

Thanks
    I prefer to use the applications default uninstaller too for the most part when it comes to uninstall jobs.
    On occasion one will have to delete the root install folder from either its "Program Files" location, or some other location like [username]AppData
    and use a mild registry cleaner to remove leftovers in the registry.

The applications uninstaller is really only as good as the coder who wrote the program, and this can vary widely.

For really tough jobs I will use jvPower Tools to assist in hunting down physical locations and registry data locations.

Another good reason one should have an imaged based backup. Things can and occasionally do go wrong.
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2012-04-06 at 10:46.

Thanks
    I have used Revo Uninstaller and now Revo Uninstaller Pro very successfully for several years without any problems. Revo does find stuff left behind by the apps own uninstaller and has never caused me a problem. Nuff' said.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Like Ted, I also use Revo Pro and never had any problems...

I would suggest making an image before any UN-install, or install for that matter.

I make a separate image and keep it for about a week to make sure there were no problems with the install/un-install and then delete the image once I find everything is working normally.
    "If You Are Reading This In English, Thank A VET"

New Lounger
    Thanks
    ccleaner is the only app I use for uninstalling software. much better than windows uninstall in my view.