2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Printer off network

I believe I had my Brother printer on the same port for two computers on my network in my home. Everything was working. Then I read about speeding up the internet and set up a static new static ip in my router. Then the printer would print from one computer but not the other. I checked the computer not working and found the printer port appeared to have changed. I moved it back to the ip adrress I know is the ip address for that printer. It's the same one as the other computer. But it would not print. So I deleted the printer from the computer not working and reinstalled the driver. Now the printer works but not on the ip address that I know it should belong to. Instead it is attached to a port that simply calls itself Brother. There is no ip. This is confusing the hell out of me.

Thanks
    Try giving Brother support a call. I've had problems a couple of times with my 5370DW which is wired to my router. They are very patient and will walk you through getting everything working.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

thanks

Thank you for your effort. Interesting you would suggest I call them. I have contacted them many times and often they have no idea how to help so considering the time consumed I didn't want to do that at this time. Really I just had a general question as to what is going on since it is working now, just not the way I expected.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    Having a static IP will not speed up the internet - nothing really speeds up the internet, it's a busy place.

The port called "brother" is probably a DNS entry pointing to the printer.
    Is the printer using a static IP or DHCP?

cheers, Paul

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you

I really appreciate whenever someone replies and offers assitance. I have to tell you, I frequent both computer and woodworking forums. Interestingly there are always experts (not sarcasm) with much experience who have opinions from two different planets. Just experienced this regarding putting finihses on wood. Both experts I'm sure end up with beautiful pieces, but to hear them talk about each other, what the other is doing will result in an awful result. I read an expert opinion describing how to find an address that my router can use to improve it's internet speed. The difference was both perceptable and immediate. As far as the printer goes, I'll just leave the result to experience. It works now so I should spend my energies moving on. Thank you.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    Please share the advise so other can test / use it?

cheers, Paul

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    It had already been shared. I just let it go. I reinstalled the printer and allowed it to use its own port even though it was not one I remember seeing before. Works fine now.