5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Crash test dummy

Loungers seem preoccupied with the user interface and features, but what about performance and stability?

I have scarcely begun to use my installation (clean x64 on a desktop with 3 GB RAM), but I have had no crashes, it seems very stable, and performance is snappier than it was under Win 7 x64 Ultimate.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Personally, I haven't worried about performance. I assume there is still beta and debug code in there. Having seen the fast boot, I don't expect it to be any worse that Windows 7 and probably better.

Stability? Not had it running long enough, but no crashes yet.

Alan

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Dogberry,

I've had the same experience. However, that said, of course it is snappier no Aero we're back to the XP interface...progress?
    As far as crashes I've yet to have a BSOD with Win-7 on 4 machines.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    Generally speaking, a BSOD is a PC crying out for help. Something like "Help! I'm drowning!"

A properly set up and maintained PC won't have to cry for help. Like a happy dog won't bite you and a happy baby won't cry.

I don't have BSOD's on any OS. Win-8 is no exception, so far.
    None of my many customers have BSOD's either. I'd sure hear about it if they did!

However, on the same PC, I don't see W8 running any faster than my XP-Pro-SP3, running on a FAT32 formatted HD.
    In fact XP does shut down faster, from mouse click to power off.

W8 is OK, but I don't see what all this fuss is all about it being so much faster. ???

Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I confess, I didn’t even think of Aero, in part because I normally turn it off anyway, but that is an interesting change with Win 8.

On the other hand, Microsoft has not dropped ReadyBoost, which is one of those oddities that I do test, but without any meaningful benchmark. Certain things have changed since it was introduced; flash drives and SD memory devices have greater capacity, flash memory prices have dropped, flash speeds have increased, and with USB3 ports, transfer speeds may be greater. On the other hand, hard drive capacities and technology have improved as well.

The general idea that it would improve performance was almost universally discounted (except for computers with barely enough power, where my own experience suggests that it helps), but since it’s still around, I can’t help wondering if it may be good for something. We may have any number of suitable flash drives sitting around doing nothing that could be plugged into a computer like mine. It may not show up as a perceptible performance gain, but because it is obviously busy, there may be a gain on the hard drive side in the form of a longer lifespan for the drive.

Anyway, I do have an older drive and I am using an 8 GB ReadyBoost. I may increase it to 32 GB, to see if I can detect any significant gain. It’s cheaper than a lot of third-party utilities, and the hardware, which is the only expense, is reusable.