5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Protect your computer: sandbox apps and files

BEST SOFTWARE

Protect your computer: sandbox apps and files

By Lincoln Spector

Every time you launch a new program, visit a website, or open a suspicious e-mail, something terrible could happen even with honest software.

Even legitimate and malware-free software can insert itself where you don't want it, dumping hundreds of entries into the Windows Registry and malicious software will do much worse. Sandboxing can reduce your risk.

The full text of this column is posted at http://windowssecrets.com/best-softw...pps-and-files/ (paid content, opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.
    Last edited by Kathleen Atkins; 2012-04-11 at 16:39.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Sounds intriguing (I already have Sandboxie,) but the day I have to resort to running a VM inside my Windows installation is the day I start using OS X permanently--warts and all.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    We have found that running VMs off of USB-connected hard drives works just as rapidly as running them off of the internal HD, at least on Dell laptops. That is, you pay no performance penalty for putting the VM on a separate HD.

Standard VMWare also offers the concept of a "snapshot". If you take a snapshot, run an application, and then revert to the snapshot, you can quickly recover from any problems that occured while running the suspect application. I assume that the freeware version of the VMWare player also offers this capability