New Lounger
    Thanks

wireless mouse jumps around

my logitech wireless optical mouse jumps randomly and also sometimes just doesn't move. I think it picks up the signal from my d-link wireless router - possible?

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    Is your mouse of the USB wireless type?
    What type of wireless: RF Wireless, Fast RF Wireless, IR Wireless, Bluetooth Wireless
    You might try positioning the router a bit farther away and the USB wireless somewhere closer, like the front of the case[?]
    Try a different surface for the mouse too.
    Temporarily disable the d-link router to see if the behavior persists.
    Check other possibilities as well, like appliance interference etc.
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2012-04-04 at 15:55.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimholeman17 View Post
    my logitech wireless optical mouse jumps randomly and also sometimes just doesn't move. I think it picks up the signal from my d-link wireless router - possible?
    Might need feeding (new battery) or the sensor cleaned.
    George's PC Specs. / Laptop. Desktop.

Thanks
    On occasion when I have that problem I usually find a hair or other debris in the sensor eye of the mouse.
    Sometimes I have to look at the sensor with a magnifying glass because the hair/dust is so small..
    "If You Are Reading This In English, Thank A VET"

Thanks
    I had a similar problem with a Logitech Lx6 wireless mouse a few months ago. I moved the receiver to another USB port and the problem disappeared.
    I did not try to see if the old port had totally failed, just moved on.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to JC Zorkoff For This Useful Post:

Jimholeman17 (2012-04-10)

Lounger
    Thanks

Mouse jumps around

Spank the bad mouse? No that doesn't work either

Like the others here, I have a very odd mouse problem. It is intermittent but happens often. Iíve tried 2 different USB optical mice and they both do the same thing. Iíve shifted to a different USB port and nothing changes. Iíve run all the hardware diagnostics that dell provides and there are no reported problems. I try the mouse on a different computer and the problem doesnít exist.
    While typing a document in any MS-Word, Corel-Word Perfect, Open Office, NotePad, WordPad, thunderbird, firefox, IE, Amdocs or anything else, the mouse pointer jumps to some other place and typing continues where it lands within words or within or outside of a line, anyplace in a blank line further down the document where I have not been to yet, or even in another document in a non active window! And while typing in a wrong place it can jump someplace else and continue inserting characters from there. I have to keep watch or it may have skipped around to many places before I see it. It works exactly as if I had moved the mouse pointer to a different place and then clicked at that location. Sometimes it selects a bunch of text where it lands and if I don't see that happen it replaces the selected text with whatever I type!

My router is in my DSL modem up on top of a bookcase in the next room. I don't have a D-Link router. No matter what surface I use the mouse on, the problem still happens. Changing to another USB for the mouse doesn't cause the problem to get any better and hopefully not any worse. It's not a Logitech mouse or a wireless mouse. Sometimes when I click and drag it hesitates for some number of seconds. When I keep the button clicked in order to drag, I can see the mouse pointer stop, sometimes with the mouse trail stopped also.

I googled "mouse jumps" and nothing there fixes the problem. I found a program free on the Internet called TouchFreeze that supposedly fixes the problem. No problems occurred for at least 30 seconds. In short, it doesn't fix the problem even though it's logic sounds very plausible.

I've been fighting this for at least the last 3 months. At this point I find myself thinking that Microsoft doesn't allow their optical mice to work after 6 or so years. Can anyone help with a solution for this????

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by partner View Post
    Spank the bad mouse? No that doesn't work either

Like the others here, I have a very odd mouse problem. It is intermittent but happens often. Iíve tried 2 different USB optical mice and they both do the same thing. Iíve shifted to a different USB port and nothing changes. Iíve run all the hardware diagnostics that dell provides and there are no reported problems. I try the mouse on a different computer and the problem doesnít exist.
    While typing a document in any MS-Word, Corel-Word Perfect, Open Office, NotePad, WordPad, thunderbird, firefox, IE, Amdocs or anything else, the mouse pointer jumps to some other place and typing continues where it lands within words or within or outside of a line, anyplace in a blank line further down the document where I have not been to yet, or even in another document in a non active window! And while typing in a wrong place it can jump someplace else and continue inserting characters from there. I have to keep watch or it may have skipped around to many places before I see it. It works exactly as if I had moved the mouse pointer to a different place and then clicked at that location. Sometimes it selects a bunch of text where it lands and if I don't see that happen it replaces the selected text with whatever I type!

My router is in my DSL modem up on top of a bookcase in the next room. I don't have a D-Link router. No matter what surface I use the mouse on, the problem still happens. Changing to another USB for the mouse doesn't cause the problem to get any better and hopefully not any worse. It's not a Logitech mouse or a wireless mouse. Sometimes when I click and drag it hesitates for some number of seconds. When I keep the button clicked in order to drag, I can see the mouse pointer stop, sometimes with the mouse trail stopped also.

I googled "mouse jumps" and nothing there fixes the problem. I found a program free on the Internet called TouchFreeze that supposedly fixes the problem. No problems occurred for at least 30 seconds. In short, it doesn't fix the problem even though it's logic sounds very plausible.

I've been fighting this for at least the last 3 months. At this point I find myself thinking that Microsoft doesn't allow their optical mice to work after 6 or so years. Can anyone help with a solution for this????
    Try turning off mouse trails as this interferes sometimes with the program you are using.
    Clive

All typing errors are my own work and subject to patents pending. Except errors by the spell checker. And that has its own patients.

Thanks
    When the digital mice first showed up on the market a number of years back, They came with several warnings, to NOT use them on black or shiny surfaces. I've found that a cloth topped mouse pad, all one color, works best.

YES to the other suggestions, about cleaning the dirt out of the 'Eye' (blow on it, or use a Q-tip to clean it) and maybe using a USB port as close to the mouse as possible.
    Following all of my own suggestions, my new $10 wireless mouse is working great. It only uses ONE battery so it's not as heavy as those that use TWO batteries.

Good Luck!
    The Doctor
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

Thanks
    I found using a Qtip can leave fine fuzz on the eye.
    I prefer to use a toothpick and then a tweezer...

A more frequent problem is the right mouse button giving out...

Thanks
    I had a similar problem. I was able to fix it with a new slice of cheddar.....Sorry just couldn't resist!
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)

Thanks
    More humane then throwing it to the cat!