Thanks
    Thanked 1,456 Times in 1,325 Posts

Recommendations: USB 3.0 PCI & Gigabit Ethernet Cards

Hi All,

Being mostly a Software guy I thought I'd pick the brains of the Hardware Gurus here:
    I'm looking for a reliable USB 3.0 PCI card to add to my Dell Desktop {specs in signature} in PCI Express {slot 4} and a Gigabit Ethernet card for PCI {slot 1}.
    PCISlots.PNG
    I've done a fair amount of googling on the subject but all the reviews seem to be both love it or hate it pretty evenly spread. So what I'm looking from from you guys is some 1st hand knowledge for the stuff you actually have used.

Thanks,
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi, "Geekster",
    I would check both Directron and NewEgg for PCI and PCI-E ....Seeing how you have both available. Read through the "reviews"... after a bit you will form a general consensus ...stick to main brands, and "Chunk" all the cheapest ones...My 2 Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Thanks
    Is this your motherboard RG?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    why do you require a PCI Ethernet card when if what Clint shows is your motherboard it already has gigabit Ethernet built in.
    Clive

All typing errors are my own work and subject to patents pending. Except errors by the spell checker. And that has its own patients.

Thanks
    RG, recommending a USB3 card is pretty difficult, it's relatively new tech and a 'good' one may be down to a more mature driver available rather than better hardware.

Going through the reviews from verified owners is one way to get real info, searching BSOD reports is another (but harder and more complicated).

Thanks
    Thanked 1,456 Times in 1,325 Posts
    CLiNT & Clive,

Thanks for the replies.
    I guess that is NOT my motherboard! It must be from a later model at least according to SIW.
    530Ethernet.PNG
    Satrow,

That's why I posted here hoping for just that! I've poured over reviews on the net but can't seem to find one card that gets basically all good reviews.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    I don't think you'll have a problem with almost any gigabit ethernet card, because this is a mature technology.

USB 3.0 cards are a different matter. I got one which caused occasional random BSODs on my Win 7 Pro 64-bit PC, and occasionally the Seagate external disk would drop off to sleep, and needed a power cycle to revive. Reinstalling the driver occasionally helped, but in the end I sent it back. I'll wait for my next PC and a motherboard with native USB 3.0 support!
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

Thanks
    Whatever you ultimately decide on RG, make certain you will be able to RMA it.
    I think it would also be a good idea if you could track down your exact motherboard's revision number down from Dell and get a reliable
    spec sheet/whitesheet as well.

That's why I posted here hoping for just that! I've poured over reviews on the net but can't seem to find one card that gets basically all good reviews.
    You very seldom ever will come across a perfect review. In many instances these reviews need to be taken with a grain of salt.
    You would do well to try and read between the lines. Take a closer look at what objective reviwers are having issues with, and
    any similar hardware to your own, if your lucky enough to have them post their hardware.

Also, assuming that you don't have support for USB 3.0 in your BIOS if the hardware is older, you will be totally reliant on the supplied
    driver. So pay close attention to issues with drivers with regard to older hardware in the reviews.

Reading others reviews can be helpful, but they can also be a double edged sword as well.
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2012-04-17 at 20:17.