Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Recording Internet Audio

Hello all,
    Well this is for those of us who would like to record Internet Radio , YouTube, or any type of Audio (Streaming), and be able to save it to listen at another time , or burn it to a CD . By now if you are using Windows 7 (32 or 64) the Stereo Mixer is gone.. ( needed to do this) If you are using "7" See this Thread and i explain how to get your Stereo Mixer back. For all the rest in addition to the "Mixer" you will need two free programs

1. Audacity (actual recorder) Audacity for Windows
    2. Lame for Audacity... ( for making a MP-3 from the new file ) Lame

3. Basically ...Download both programs and install them... Pick something that you want to record I'll use an "Example" Some You Tube Music ...If your under 60 use another example as you won't recognize this as Music...played by someone who is actual a musician. If you are 60+ grab your "significant" and foxtrot around your livingroom while Audacity records this....

4. Let it load (on pause) so there won't be any "gaps" in your recording..Due to download speed.

5. Bring up Audacity and hit the record button and then the "Play" on the source.

6. When the song (whatever is finished) no time limit ...just your available disk space.. hit the stop on Audacity..

7. Now on Audacity hit "file" and "Export" ... Choose what type of file format you want from the drop down ( i like MP-3 ) another screen will ask you what to name this new file.. and the save it to some file folder of your choice...Done ...At this point you can now "burn" it if you want to a CD.. Regards Fred

PS: This is meant to be a just a quick "Overview" of Audacity ... has a huge amount of settings to be explored that i could never cover here.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Just Plain Fred; 2012-04-06 at 17:25.
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    Ah - what you say assumes that your audio driver provider has not implemented a type of DRM which means that Audacity cannot obtain any sound download to save! Yes, I'm talking about you, nVidia...
    BATcher

Dear Diary, today the Hundred Years War started ...

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BATcher View Post
    Ah - what you say assumes that your audio driver provider has not implemented a type of DRM which means that Audacity cannot obtain any sound download to save! Yes, I'm talking about you, nVidia...
    BATcher,
    Hello... I'm not sure of what you mean.. In the link that i provided i attempt to explain how to enable "Stereo mixer" in conjugation with Realtek HD Audio Program... With these Audacity\Lame records anything (Audio) that you want,coming out of your speakers.. see Screen Shots.. I have done this in both "7" 32 and 64 and it works....Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Thanks
    Fred,
    I just gave it a "field test" and it works great. As I posted in the other thread, I've used Audacity before, and it's a great app. It allows editing, fade-in and fade-out (as when an audio begins with loud audience applause and ends with chopped off loud applause, that can be faded in and then faded out, so that the audio isn't so abrupt), gobs of other options as well. Thanks again.

I prefer .wav files, and Audacity has one of the best decompression algorithms out there for converting mp3 to wav.
    Create a new drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"Let them that don't want it have memories of not gettin' any." "Gratitude is riches and complaint is poverty and the worst I ever had was wonderful." Brother Dave Gardner "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else." Sir Thomas Robert Deware. "The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?" Captain Jack Sparrow.
    Unleash Windows

Thanks
    Nice one Fred.
    I use Audacity Portable version.
    George's PC Specs. / Laptop. Desktop.

New Lounger
    Thanks

other options

I use Total Recorder to capture streamed audio and CD Wave Editor to split up file(s) - elegantly simple and effective

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by maltby View Post
    I use Total Recorder to capture streamed audio and CD Wave Editor to split up file(s) - elegantly simple and effective
    maltby,
    Hello...and welcome to the "Lounge" ( as a poster) Thanks for your input ...The main purpose of my posts was to get back something that was eliminated in Windows 7 that was part of Vista and XP ( Realtek HD audio ) and the "Stereo Mix". With these brought back you can use a number of free programs to record "Streaming"...It just "ticked me off" that MS removed it...so i found a "workaround"...Perhaps you could expand on your programs and how they function .... I'm still new at this "recording thing" Regards Fred
    PlainFred