4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Anti-Virus programs

I have read several announcements regarding AdAware Free version 10. Should I install this or is it likely to confict with Norton Internet Security 2012 which I already have on my PC? I used to have AdAware and Malwarebytes installed until a Symantec tech told me they would interfere with NIS. I still have Malwarebytes but it does not run in the background, I only use it if I feel my PC has been compromised. There seem to be differing opinions on this subject.

Thanks
    AdAware has lost much of it's following over the last few years. It used to be very good, but went downhill very fast. I have not used it for several years.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Malwarebytes should be fine. AdAware, like Ted says, I have not used in years, they have disappeared off the radar of decent products for the most part.
    Your more than welcome to experiment, just make sure you have a well timed drive image to fall back on.

Another user here, Fred who uses NIS, may have better insight into program compatibilities as far as NIS is concerned.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Stick to just using one AV and be careful about what you view, click and download, and always scan downloads before running them.

cheers, Paul

mart44
    The question of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Norton Internet Security came up here a while ago:

http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...l=1#post843097

I'm still using the same set-up with (MBAM Pro) running in realtime. No apparent problems.

Thanks
    I too, run Malwarebytes Pro and Norton Internet Security running on this machine and have had no problems with it. Neither one 'objects' to the other.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    The newest version of Adaware has a completely redesigned interface plus additional capabilities. The vendor claims much better speed and less system impact. It could be that they've reversed the long time trend towards complete irrelevance. The free version now includes an anti-virus solution in addition to the anti-spyware features that have been there since the beginning. See Ad-aware free for more details. NOTE: at a minimum you'd need to disable the realtime features of Adaware so as not to conflict with NIS.

Norton Internet Security has suffered for years from outmoded no longer valid views of its system impact. Adaware MAY be in the same boat.

Joe

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Back in the old days AdAware was just for spyware/malware etc and nothing else. Now it is a fully functioning Security Suite. I can't speak to it's quality, it may be very good, so so or bad. You don't want to install this just to use the spyware/adware/malware part. You do not want to run two anti virus programs at the same time. I would recommend you just use the Norton you have and also use Malwarebytes. I to run Malwarebytes in real time protection mode.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Ad-Aware Free version 10 is inferior to Norton Internet Security 2012, so don’t bother with it. Your current setup is fine; you don't need anything more than what you have.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Why is it inferior?

cheers, Paul

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    Why is it inferior?

cheers, Paul
    Both Ad-Aware Free version 10 and Norton Internet Security 2012 are very good at malware blocking and detection, but the Norton product is superior at malware removal, especially when installed on a computer with an existing malware infection. The Norton product is a security suite, so it has more features than the Ad-Aware product, which is more of a regular anti-malware product. For example, if you have children, the Norton product integrates with the free Norton Online Family service to provide parental controls. The Ad-Aware product does have some suite features, but it's not what I would generally consider a fully functioning security suite.
    Last edited by cloudsandskye; 2012-04-12 at 20:13.