2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Can updating my system have taken up this much space?

Now that I finally updated XP after not doing so for four and a half years (adding SP3 and all updates after that) everything seems to be running well. But I hadn't checked on how much space was used on my disk since shortly installing before the updates. I was surprised to see that used space has increased by somewhere around 5 - 6 GB. Does that make sense? I haven't added much in the way of files or programs since the updates, because I didn't want to confuse things if there were any problems.

In case this sheds any light on the situation, I upgraded to a larger hard drive before installing the updates.

Thanks,
    Ellen
    Last edited by decibelle; 2012-04-07 at 13:25.

Thanks
    Run TreeSize Free to see what's (now!) taking up the space. The backups which Windows Update takes before installing SP3 might account for a fair chunk of it (find them in C:\Windows\$NtUninstallxxxx).
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have 11 C:\Windows\$NtUninstallxxxx files, but all together they only add up to 65 MB.

Will look into TreeSizeFree and report back.

Thanks
    Did you actually clean out all the temporary files. I would include all temp internet files. I would also include all log files and installation files, etc. Run the batch file or the Disk cleanup file Clint and I mentioned in the other thread or both and choose to clean out everything. It might take quite a while. You will be surprised how much stuff can collect in that time frame.

There are other Windows system files that continue to grow larger as time goes by. Plus there were many updates in that amount of time, so yes 5 or 6 GB could be a somewhat conservative increase. Do you use hibernate. The hiberfil.sys file can be quite large (3 to 4 GB or more) if you do hibernate. I believe it's the winSxS file continues to increase to rather huge sizes as it stores copies of dll files. The latest Windows Secrets Newsletters had an article about this.

The Windows updates all store uninstall info on your PC just in case.

All this stuff does indeed add up.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    By chance I found two enormous files that were created on 3/27. One is C:\hiberfil, at 3.5 GB, and the other is C:\pagefile, at 1.5 GB! Ted, you were right about the hibernation file. But I never hibernate my computer; I just turn it off.

But I don't know what size those were before the cloning. Could it have been much smaller?

Now, I'm not quite sure how these got there, because they actually were created a couple of days before I installed SP3, and obviously before any of the other updates. What I did do before then was clone my 160 GB drive to a 320 GB drive.

Does any of this make sense? Why were they created at that time?

Thanks,
    Ellen
    Last edited by decibelle; 2012-04-07 at 17:12.

Thanks
    The hiberfil.sys file has always been there if hibernation was enabled. If you disabled hibernation you can delete the hiberfil.sys file. This will save you that much space, and yes as I stated this file is large.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    That's useful information. But now that I understand a little better I'm not sure those files have anything to do with the sudden increase of used space. Do you think that either of those files would have gotten any bigger after the disk upgrade?

For this thread, I simply want to find out what caused that sudden increase in disk usage. And, remove it if it is not necessary to keep it. I'm leaving the disk cleanup of older, unrelated stuff out of this discussion for now.

Part of the problem is clearly the ~ 700MB of files in %windir%\SoftwareDistribution\Download\ that were all created on 3/30. Would it be OK to delete these?

But that's only a small part of the increase, so what else could have caused it?

Thanks,
    Ellen

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    If you want to delete any installation files that are not relevant, run cleanmgr.exe (just type it in Start->Run). It will offer you several choices and the size of the files to delete, should you select those choices.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    OK, I just ran that, but it had almost nothing (172 KB)to show me. :>/

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    About the SoftwareDistribution\Download folder, maybe this will help with a decision: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...b-13f38126c588