Thread: MSE Quick Scan

Star Lounger
    Thanks

MSE Quick Scan

I recently noticed that a quick scan using MSE only takes about 10-15 secounds.
    It used to take about 2 minunets. a full scan takes about a hour and a half and that is consistant with what it has always taken.
    Just curiouios what a quick scan takes on some of the other loungers computor?
    Barry

Thanks
    Hi Barry,
    I believe that having a good Anti Virus program does not require having to do any scans after the program has been installed.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,397 Times in 1,220 Posts
    A quick scan just scans the places where virus are more likely to be find (including memory). Probably 15 secs does look a bit too fast, but I guess it can't be ruled out as a possible value.

Thanks
    Hi Barry,
    I believe that having a good Anti Virus program does not require having to do any scans after the program has been installed.
    That doesn't make any sense George?
    I would prefer to have the program setup and installed properly prior to initiating, especially, a detailed scan.

23 seconds here for the quick scan.
    Doing a full scan for me would not be advantageous as I have approx. 6TBs worth of drive realestate.
    Instead, select the "custom" scan and choose what drive(s) or folder(s) you want to scan.
    Very convenient , but manual.
    Untitled.jpg

Another way to do it, albeit manually, would be to open up Windows explorer and select the specific drive or folder
    you want to scan, like this...
    Untitled2.jpg
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2012-04-08 at 00:51.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Running a scan is a good way to catch viruses that were very new and not in the virus definition files. I had an example at work the other day with a fake alert virus. The AV (name withheld) advised the file was clean, but running it popped up all sorts of scary warning messages. It took 4 days for the update that flagged the file as malicious.
    We re-built the machine in the meantime.

cheers, Paul

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Well it gets even stranger. I ran a quick scan again this morning and it scaned aprox. 81 thousand items and took about 55 secounds.
    When i ran it before i started this post it only scanned about 14 thousand items. I have been using MSE for over 2 years and never seen this behavior before.
    I did pick up the java/CVE virus about a month ago. it got by MSE and i only found it doing a full scan.
    I think it might be in my best interest to uninstall and reinstall MSE.
    Barry

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,397 Times in 1,220 Posts
    You can always download Malwarebytes anti-malware and run it. If in doubt, you can always run another full MSE scan.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CLiNT View Post
    That doesn't make any sense George?
    I would prefer to have the program setup and installed properly prior to initiating, especially, a detailed scan.
    I agree, now I've re read it. What I meant to say was, after installing Avast, and set my preferences, I do a boot-time scan, then their is IMHO no need to have a scheduled scan set.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!