Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

Start button for Win 8, this is great

I was not going to buy windows 8 until I saw this. http://classicshell.sourceforge.net/

this works on the new CP and hopefully on RC.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lobo1111 For This Useful Post:

eikelein (2012-05-12),Tea (2012-04-15)

Thanks
    Maybe it'll be compatible w/ the future versions of Windows8, maybe not. It's interesting/not bad. But, to be quite candid, Windows8 doesn't need it. Windows8 does nicely w/out adding anything, of this sort, to it. Between Quick Launch, Rt Clk @ the bottom-left corner, Desktop toolbar on the Taskbar & a Power button on the System Tray... pieces like this are very redundant, nice, maybe, but, unnecessary.

Capture.JPG

And, really, Classic Shell or not, should not be a deciding factor or a make-or-break issue having critical influence regarding purchase... there are important, exciting enticements in Windows8 that are of much greater importance, value & impact.

Cheers,
    Drew
    Last edited by Drew1903; 2012-04-09 at 04:25.

Thanks
    As stated previously I do not miss the Start Menu at all. This is not the Make or Break factor for me either. I find that in Win 7 I do not use the Start Menu nearly as much as I thought I did. I will not make a final decision until sometime this fall, or perhaps afterward, but a Start Menu, or lack thereof is not the determining factor.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    I tried 1 of those things, briefly... basically, it was just in the way, a bother.

And, the others are right... not only don't really use Start in Win8... but, now that it's been mentioned, that's true, never did use the start menu much in previous OSs; Quick Launch, Pinning, but, not start, much. Don't have Desktop icons, either, haven't used them for many years, now; don't care to cover up nice (wallpaper) pictures .

Drew

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Prediction

Agree with the above. I tried Stardock's Orb and in short time uninstalled it - it was just not needed (Drew's point). Those of us who have supported relatives and friends over several OS's WILL BUY WINDOWS 8.
    We have to buy so we can continue to support our loved ones in knowledgeable fashion .

Rich

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Gee, i disagree with all the above, I am 100% disabled Vet who mainly uses desktop, I hate searching for stuff so this helps me a lot.

Thanks
    Searching for stuff in Windows8, as it is out of the box, is extremely easy.

Drew

Thanks
    Lobo, I'm glad you found something that will help you. It's nice that we can all find something we like. I do not need something like this. You do. That's why they call these things Personal Computers.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

New Lounger
    Thanks

Classic Shell

I am glad to see that Classic Shell is available for Windows 8. I would never have adopted Windows 7 without it. I most certainly would never adopt Windows 8 without Classic Shell or something similar. I have Windows 8 Consumer Preview downloaded, but have been waiting for something similar to Classic Shell before I would ever install. Now maybe I can try out Windows 8 and see if any of Windows 7 frustrations have been fixed.

New Lounger
    Thanks

The need for the Start Menu is very important in Windows 8

I have owned a computer Retail store now for over 29 years. I know my customers extremely well. Without the Start Menu Windows 8 will be doomed. Either Microsoft gives us the option for it, or we need a third party Start Menu. My customers will reject Windows 8 for sure without it and Microsoft's operating system will be on it way to demise without it. What does it hurt to keep it? I say it is very much needed. I have been using the beta Windows 8 now for a few weeks as have my techs. None of us like it without the Start Menu. We are all thumbs down. I sell a lot of systems and I guarantee Microsoft has created another Me or Vista if they persist in this endeavor on no Start Menu. I speak from a lot of experience believe me.

Tablets are another thing. It would be fine for touch screens...but not on desktops unless the screen can lay flat on a desk. Holding one's arm's up to a desktop screen will quickly convince one that touch screens are no fun.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have to agree with Gary. I have been in the computer business and have been system administrator for several small businesses. The consensus is: No start menu. Now Windows. These users I have supported use the start menu constantly. Window 7 is great and we will continue with that. And by no means am I a Luddite. I will try anything new and like change.
    Why in the world would anyone want a metro interface on a desktop computer without touch capabilities? The answer my friends...is they don't.

Thanks
    There is now relief, for those who either want of NEED a start orb and start menu.

The Classic Shell that many of us have used and rely on in Win-7 will not work in Win-8,
    but the new and Improved Classic Shell works just Great!

ClassicShell2.jpg
    Click on the picture, for a close-up view.
    The theme is called "Nebula".

Here's the link for those who want a close-up look.
    http://classicshell.sourceforge.net/

Enjoy!

The Doctor
    Last edited by DrWho; 2012-04-12 at 15:53.
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes, I have been using it...not quite the same as Win 7, but close enough. The question is: Will Microsoft kill it/prevent it from running. Since they seem so determined to kill it in Win 8. Time will tell. It is still Beta. I can tell you this. If Microsoft doesn't allow a start menu, "my sales will go down the tubes". It just might be what pushes over the top to go ahead and retire. 29 years of fooling with this stuff...I don't need the aggravation of dealing with another bad Windows Operating System. ME and Vista were bad enough. Windows 7 and XP were great. We don't even need Metro. That is for tablets...not for desktops or the average laptop.

Thanks
    I actually installed Classic Shell to allow a test, and this is not bad. It does a very respectable job of simulating the Win 7 Start Menu. The Settings allow quite a bit of customizing similar to the Win 7 Start Menu. This should definitely appease those individuals that absolutely require a Win 7 style Start Menu in order to consider Win 8 CP. If MS will leave this alone for the Win 8 RP (The latest I heard the next version will be called the Release Preview, not the Release Candidate).

I was able to set Control Panel and Favorites as Menu items which is similar to Win 7. This is really the most used part of my Win 7 Start Menu. My screen shot shows the Full Glass skin option.

ClassicShell.jpg
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes, I agree with Ted. The Classic Menu does do a very respectable job of simulating the Win 7 Start Menu...and I could live with it. I just hope, as I said that Microsoft doesn't "squash it". One has to wonder where Microsoft's mind set is in doing away with it. It makes the entire Windows experience aggravating on a "non-touch" screen system. It would be fine to make it not a default install, but at the very least it should be an option to "turn on" or "install". I really hope Microsoft gets this right for the sake of not only millions and millions of their customers, but my business as well. Vista almost put me out of business. We don't need another Vista! I like your desktop screen shot...is it a theme, too.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast