Thread: Vba / sql

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Vba / sql

I need to access a SQL database on my laptop. I understand that SQLExpress is a good (and free) way to do this.

I've looked into SQLExpress, and there are many versions. Can anyone recommend which version would be appropriate to read/write/create/delete records in a database. (No need to create or modify the database itself.)

Thanks.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by richardbarrett View Post
    I need to access a SQL database on my laptop. I understand that SQLExpress is a good (and free) way to do this.

I've looked into SQLExpress, and there are many versions. Can anyone recommend which version would be appropriate to read/write/create/delete records in a database. (No need to create or modify the database itself.)

Thanks.
    There's probably no single right answer to this! When you say "a SQL database on my laptop" do you mean that someone, or some piece of software, has already created this database ON YOUR LAPTOP and you now need to access the data within it? Or did you really mean "using my laptop, I need to access a SQL database (that resides somewhere else)". Your second paragraph seems to imply that you're not going to need to create the database, so where has the data come from in the first place?

Many pieces of software (Excel, Access etc) are capable of extracting data from existing databases provided the correct database driver is installed on your PC.
    Last edited by jeremybarker; 2012-04-10 at 11:07. Reason: missing quotation marks!

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    In the office we have SQL Server to interact with the database. I have a copy of the database on my laptop. I'm looking for a version of SQLExpress so the laptop can mimic the office network as closely as possible. On the laptop, I want to access the database: read, write and modify. But I don't have any need to create the actual database, which I understand some of the SQLExpress versions can do.

Thanks
    I think all SQL Express versions can do it, the only difference is in the version of SQL Server that it's based on, and whether or not it comes with management and/or developer tools. Which version of SQL Server do you have at work?
    Regards,
    Rory

Microsoft MVP - Excel

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    SQL Server Express will come with SQL Server Management Studio, which allow you to write SQL statements to achieve what you want. You will also be able to connect to the database using another clients, such as a VBA app.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I don't need management/developer tools, and I'm just wondering which version would then be suitable. Is there any need to be version explicit with the SQL Server at the office?

Thanks
    I would generally try and use the same version to ensure that anything that works on one works on the other, though I doubt you will have problems just running queries. The basic version of SQL Express as far as I know does not come with management studio (it's only 100MB odd download as opposed to 600MB for the Management Studio) or any dev tools.
    Regards,
    Rory

Microsoft MVP - Excel