Thanks

IE9 doesn't always remember passwords

This is IE9 on a Win7 64-bit machine. There doesn't seem to be any ryhme or reason as to when its going to remember login details for a forum. Sometimes I get a pop-up asking me to save, and other times I don't. I don't for this forum as an example.

Any idea what gives here?
    Thanks;
    Artie

Thanks
    I would check on a password manager. The browser passwords have never been known to be as secure as the 3rd party password managers. Check out LastPass or KeePass or one of the others. I use LastPass with excellent results.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Check your "Auto Complete" settings, ensure that "User names and passwords on forms" is checked, and that
    "Passwords" remains unchecked in "Delete Browser History". Security settings at default.

Untitled.jpg

Some sites will not comply with IE, this site is not among them, if you are still unable to get it working, look into
    getting a password manager as Ted suggests.

Thanks
    Thanks VIP and Clint.

Clint; I had everything checked that you did except "Forms". I did have "User names and passwords on forms" checked. So, I checked "Forms". (I had to close the browser and then reopen it.) It now remembers my user name, but not my password. And, I don't get that "slide-up" panel at the bottom that asks to save this password.

So . . . I guess I'll try what VIP said. Still, its annoying because it used to work. Wish I knew what changed. And, btw, this is in direct contrast to Opera, which remembers passwords perfectly. Unfortunately, Opera still doesn't handle 100% of all webpages properly.

Thanks
    Ted, what's the difference between Last Pass Free and the paid version??
    "If You Are Reading This In English, Thank A VET"

Thanks
    Last Pass paid has plug ins for Android and iOS for your phones, etc. There is no difference for your PC as far as I'm aware. It works great for the PC. I have the paid version, and so far don't see any advantage as I do not seem to be able to figure out how to get it to work on my Android phone.

artied2, like I mentioned, the biggest problem with the browsers remembering your passwords was never that it did or did not, it was the fact the encryption was weak. They did not offer as much security with these important pieces of information as the password managers do.
    Last edited by Medico; 2012-04-11 at 04:57.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Thanks
    Thanks Ted. By the way, sorry for calling you "VIP". I didn't even see the red letters on the blue-ish background. (These old eyes.) I thought your forum name was Lounge VIP.

Anyway, I have one concern about LastPass. Am I correct that it stores my passwords on a remote server? I'm a little leary of that partially because of a Windows Secrets newsletter from not too long ago. They were talking about off-line backup services, (such as Carbonite). Some security group confirmed that the company could decrypt your backup through a "back-door". (For release to authorities and such.) When asked what prevented employees from viewing your files, the answer was . . . "its against company policy".

For that reason alone, I'd never use one of these services, and it's what makes me leary of LastPass. Am I being too paranoid or overly concerned?

Artie

Thanks
    LastPass is unable to do that. In fact they recommend that you really remember your Master Password because they are unable to assist you to reset it or get it back. They say they have no way of doing this. The nice thing about LastPass, if I'm away from my PC, I can log onto Last Pass using my Master Passsword and sign onto my sites on a different PC. It's also got a very nice form fill feature that I use all the time.

Many people are using Last Pass very effectively, but it is a personal choice. I feel more secure with Last Pass than letting the browser remember my passwords, especially when it doesn't. That's kind of a bummer.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Medico For This Useful Post:

artied2 (2012-04-11)

Thanks
    I don't mean to beat a dead horse, but how do we know they can't do that? I'm sure its probably a good service, but I never need my passwords from a different PC. Didn't you say that KeePass was good also? I downloaded that too. I'll try out both and see what I like best.

Thanks again Ted for the help.

Artie

Thanks
    I have read from others about KeePass. I have never used it myself. I guess ultimately I have to trust someone to tell me the truth. I have had no reason to disbelieve LastPass when they say they are unable to reset or help recover my Master Password.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Have you checked the security level you have set? I have had the same problem with IE9, IE8 and older versions. It appears to work only when I have to lower the security below what I am comfortable with so it doesn't work for me.