5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Remote desktop disconnection/reconnection

I regularly connect to a number of remote servers from my system (Vista SP2) via RDP. I recently installed a new ADSL modem, which works fine, except that more often than not, when I switch from an RDP window to another window and then switch back to the RDP window, even a short time later, the task has become unresponsive, and after a few seconds, Windows says "Reconnecting. The connection has been lost. Attempting to reconnect to your session....". It then usually reconnects automatically after a few seconds. However, this disconnection/reconnection never happens with my old modem, which always maintains RDP connections continuously when I switch to another window and back again, even a long time later (although it has other issues, which is why I have replaced it).

This issue happens only with RDP connections, and only with the new modem. It happens with any number of RDP connections; e.g., whether I connect to one, two, or more remote servers at a time. It does not necessarily happen at the same time with multiple RDP connnections; i.e., it seems to affect each RDP connection separately. Other applications (email, browser, streaming audio, FTP, etc.) do not have their connections interrupted like this when switching between them. I have updated my RDP client to v.7, but that has not resolved this issue. What else could be causing this?

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Murgatroyd,

http requests to a website are stateless, as are FTP connections (once connected). Streaming audio will be buffered. Those will survive temporary drop in the network connection.

RDP, as far as I'm aware, is not stateless: it requires a continuously active TCP connection.

It seems your new modem may be dropping the connection, but only when the window is not active. Perhaps QOS has been enabled for another protocol in the modem, or the hardware firewall is doing something odd. Though it is odd that it appears to affect different RDP sessions at different times.

You could try logging TCP connections with something like TCPView (though not sure if that will capture a momentary drop).

Without knowing anything about the new modem it's difficult to help any further, but I would be tempted to look at the manufacturer's site for any support info, or their "community forum" to see if anyone else has a similar issue with that modem.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for your reply. I sent a support request to the modem manufacturer (Netcomm NB6Plus4W) via their website, but they have not responded.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    RDP is a good protocol but is very susceptible to even minor fluctuations in network connectivity. I'm wondering if there is a firmware update for your modem. I just looked at the web site and noticed that your modem is also a router. Its possible something is set on that router that is terminating the connection. You could try a rest to factory defaults to see if that helps.
    Chuck