4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Check out X-Finity Tuneup thing

Hi. Comcast/X-Finity emailed us today with a tuneup service offer and I'm curious to know what the tuneup service actually does, how well it works, etc. The only problem is our PCs are already tuned up, and I expect many of you here are in the same boat. So, wondered if anyone has a PC or laptop in need of tuning up/cleaning out/boosting performance/whatever? If so, you can try this service out for 1 month free. You need to cancel before the month is over so they don't charge you the monthly service fee, etc. Anyone willing to try it out and let us all know here on the Lounge what results you got? I have attached a screenshot which includes the small print about cancelling to avoid any charges.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by starvinmarvin; 2012-04-11 at 12:52.

Thanks
    Smacks of the usual scareware to squeeze your pocketbook dry.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Honestly, stay clear of these tune up apps. If anything, they will mess up what you already have. This is internet age snake oil, IMO.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Perhaps I misread the ad but I think it involves their tech guys going through the steps for tuneup rather than just an app? Also, why would you assume that Comcast is intentionally trying to mess up their customers' computers? How would that win them any loyalty? I mean they already include a bunch of security software, cloud storage, backups, etc. in with their internet package, and this tuneup thing looks like another step to maybe help those customers who either don't know how to keep their system safe and smooth running or who let their kids/grandkids use their computers and they download all sorts of crap and override security warnings, etc. I've seen that happen to a number of people who brought me their PC or laptop to clean up and tuneup.
    Last edited by starvinmarvin; 2012-04-11 at 13:57.

Thanks
    Yeah, leave well enough alone. We already have our ways and means.
    If you wish to "try it out", make a complete drive image prior to doing so.

http://www.ask.com/answers/107652081...ot-work-a-tech

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hey, good link there! Clearly, one customer got more than he bargained for from that tuneup service!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by starvinmarvin View Post
    Perhaps I misread the ad but I think it involves their tech guys going through the steps for tuneup rather than just an app? Also, why would you assume that Comcast is intentionally trying to mess up their customers' computers? How would that win them any loyalty? I mean they already include a bunch of security software, cloud storage, backups, etc. in with their internet package, and this tuneup thing looks like another step to maybe help those customers who either don't know how to keep their system safe and smooth running or who let their kids/grandkids use their computers and they download all sorts of crap and override security warnings, etc. I've seen that happen to a number of people who brought me their PC or laptop to clean up and tuneup.
    Intentionally? Not intentionally, but those apps do that. I am sure Comcast just wants their cut when you buy a copy.

Thanks
    Yeah, I got the same emails as you did, I currently have Comcast internet.
    Unfortunately I deleted them faster than I could look at them.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    They must not like me, they haven't sent me anything lol. I'm sure this program is not malicious or anything, its just a another way for Comcast to get more money. I only use them for internet but I am always getting snail mail etc trying to get me to switch to their tv service. These tune ups are pretty standard, nothing that hasn't been discussed in great detail here at Windows Secret. If you want to tune up your system then use the info located thru out this newsletter. A good example is todays newsletter dated 4-12 and the first article by Fred Langa titled "House Call 2012: Fixing a sluggish PC". Do it yourself and don't let a one in all software program do it for you. You will have more control.