Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

House Call 2012: Fixing a sluggish PC

TOP STORY

House Call 2012: Fixing a sluggish PC

By Fred Langa

It was a typical winter day in Seattle gray, rainy, and raw when I visited Windows Secrets reader Gary Nobel.

Gary's system would occasionally slow "to a crawl." I was there to find out why.

The full text of this column is posted at windowssecrets.com/top-story/house-call-2012-fixing-a-sluggish-pc/ (paid content, opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Kathleen Atkins For This Useful Post:

Theancientone (2012-04-12)

New Lounger
    Thanks

be aware of ccleaner

Dear Fred (all),

First of all, you got a nice story about restoring a personal computer. However, i recommend to be careful with the program ccleaner. Although it works great, it is still dangerous (not quite the right word for it).

A few weeks ago, I used ccleaner on my windows 7 Ultimate computer to clean the registry. After a reboot (next morning) my computer was telling me that windows was not legal. To repair this problem i had to reinstall windows (normally ccleaner works great so I had some confidence in the program) because i had not used the backup option ccleaner provides.

So, I recommend to use the backup function ccleaner provides, it save a lot of trouble. Or check the list ccleaner provides after a scan of the registery. Check out if there are some system values you don't want to be removed (normally these are obselete keys because uninstalled software didn't remove them).

This is the ending of my warning and i will watch out for the next issue of your (windows secret) newsletter.

Kind Regards,

The Ancient One

Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the releveant story

A couple of extra points I share with people in similar situations Before doing any sort major work, do a full image copy backup. That applies to CCleaner too. I use it regularly, and have been luck so far to not have any problems attributable to it. But I don't let it "clean" everything. I'm selective. On the question of the swap file, I do 2 more things. After defining a size for the swap file, if as in this case there is "lots of room" on the HD, I set the max and min swap file size to the same size.

Then I defrag the swap file (and whole HD). Letting windows manage the swap file size is guaranteed to fragment both the swap file and data files. Since the swap file already represents slow access memory, why make it worse letting the swap file fragment.

Thanks
    Any housekeeping/cleaning done in Windows should always be accompanied by at minimum, a backup of the Registry, or at least that portion of the Registry that is affected by the housekeeping. CCleaner's backup feature has worked well the few times I have used CCleaner to remove some orphaned keys from my Windows machines' Registries. And I rarely do any registry cleaning.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Excuse me for pointing this out, but is it not correct that the default settings for "Automatically manage paging file size for all drives" is default anyway??
    If this tick is not there by default, then maybe they were corrected through Microsoft updates, so would it not make sense to make double sure that ALL Microsoft updates were in place before making any tweeks? Just a thought.......Thank you.

Tim.........

Lounger
    Thanks
    I use FileHippo.Com Update Checker;
    It seems more comprehensive than Secunia, although I still use both;
    Just don't use Adobe Betas;
    You can't fully uninstall them !

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes i like the "FileHippo.com Update Checker", but of course this checks for updates for software you have installed, this does not include Microsoft Updates.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I'm I reading this right?

Maybe it's early and my brain isn't at the desktop yet, but I'm I reading this right?

"3GB pagefile (150 percent of the amount of RAM in Gary's 2GB system)"

New Lounger
    Thanks

Pagefile Size

Hmmm. Two things caught my eye in your article. First, that the maximum pagefile size you mentioned was not what I remember reading (perhaps incorrectly written. Or remembered) back some time ago. That source identified the maximum pagefile size as no more than 1.5 times the amount of available memory - i.e. that Windows would never use more than that. I have routinely set my pagefile size to that ever since, when I set up a new computer. Perhaps that rule applied only to an older version of Windows? 98? XP?

Second, letting Windows manage pagefile size. That means that the pagefile can grow and shrink as necessary in response to need. But doesn't that also mean that the pagefile is then subject to fragmentation? And that as the disk fills up, to migration to the slower, inner tracks? While this might be a minor issue, given the way a pagefile is used by the OS, we who obsess about contiguous files, outer disk edge speed advantages, and seek proximity get feverish at the thought of the precious pagefile operating suboptimally. Perhaps I should switch to decaf . . .

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Ron007, that is good advice and I do that sometimes.

I also use PageDefrag from Windows Sysinternals, which defragments the pagefile, registry and other files.

Its URL is http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/s...rnals/bb897426.

Great Article,
    Randy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I was a bit surprised that the pagefile size was an issue. Unlike RAM, there is no fallback if the pagefile is full and the OS needs space - it just crashes or starts killing stuff. So the only effect I can think of is that by changing the pagefile size you either moved it to a faster part of the disk or reduced fragmentation.

I'm curious as to what you think the improvement came from.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I agree, CCleaner's registry scans can be too aggressive. I've made the switch to Temp File Cleaner http://addpcs.com/software/tfc, and I'll never go back. It is much faster, always finds more junk, and has never caused me issues.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    rjstegbauer, Thats a great idea to use System Internals Page Defrag, but if memory serves me right, this will not of course work on 64 bit Windows. I have been meaning to ask if there was an alternative software.

The Ancient One, I am amazed to learn that Ccleaner has given you this bad experience with your copy of Windows, i must say i have never had this issue. There is software from Microsoft called "VistaSlick" that can put this back for you without re-installing Windows.

The idea of making an image of a 2TB C: does not thrill me.

New Lounger
    Thanks

johnpro2

Un-check most of the start up items & non Microsoft services running.These are not necessary and can slow the computer to a crawl. The only start up program normally needed is antivirus ..one only of course.To access type msconfig into the default search dialog box

The only non Windows services normally required are pertaining to itunes & occasionally some printers{experiment required} Check/tick the MS services box to hide these ..best to leave them run.

Disable or reschedule daily auto scans and daily defrags ..not necessary and they slow the computer down a lot.Once a week is enough.

Look at what scheduled programs are running ..most can be disabled as they slow the computer down.{Google if unsure how to disable}

Browsers with multiple tool bars running ..disable them.Disable multiple search engines ..use only Google.

Advise customer that auto updates can slow the computer ..I use 'advise updates available but do not download or install' setting.I download updates at quiet times when computer is not being used. Same for defrag & virus scans.

Disable remote assistance ...can be enable only when required .

Jp

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I can't even state how much I disagree with the pagefile size recommendations. The more ram, the less the pagefile needs to be, not more. I have 12 gigs of ram on my Windows 7 x64 system. All the stuff I do doesn't put a dent in it, let alone use any pagefile. I'd like to see this proven by some sort of monitoring program for systems with large amount of ram to see what pagefile usage there actually is.
    I7 3770K @ 4.4 GHz (Noctua NH-U14S Heatsink), ASRock Z77 Extreme6, 16 Gigs Corsair DDR3 1600, EVGA GTX 770, Acer P236H 23" (1920x1080), Soundbaster Z, , WD 2 TB Black HDD, WD 1 TB Black HDD, WD 2 TB Black HDD (eSata), 2 DVD Burners, Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Speaker System, Rosewill Photon 750w PSU, HSPC Top Deck Tech Station, Windows 10 Pro x64

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast