New Lounger
    Thanks

Firefox will not start

I have a problem with FF - it used to work and now will not load. I've researched everything I can find, uninstalled it multiple times using Revo Uninstaller Pro, run CCleaner many times, installed earlier versions, deleted user profiles etc etc and nothing works. When I click on the FF icon nothing happens - but it does show that it is running in the Processes tab. Does anyone have any suggestions??

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    Hi RockerC
    WSL.JPG

What Anti Virus & Firewall do you use???
    George's PC Specs. / Laptop. Desktop.

Thanks
    Simply try rebooting your computer after you do an uninstall.Disable your antivirus internet security suite before the new install.
    Problems cannot be solved by the same level of thinking that created them. -Albert Einsten

Thanks
    Does Firefox start in safe mode? You can start Firefox in Safe Mode by holding down the shift key while starting Firefox.

Another thing to try is temporarily disabling your security software especially any software firewalls.

Jerry

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the advice but it doesn't work. I've disabled antivirus and firewall, unistalled with Revo Uninstaller Pro, run CCleaner, rebooted, reinstalled and nothing happens (i.e. click on the FF icon - either desktop, quicklaunch or program list and nothing happens) but the Process Monitor shows it is running. Also FF will not start in Safe Mode. Any other ideas??

Thanks
    Your anti-virus program,Could be missing this TDSS virus.Here is a link that might help;http://support.kaspersky.com/viruses...?qid=208280684 Scroll down a little to read about the program.
    Problems cannot be solved by the same level of thinking that created them. -Albert Einsten

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks very much for that suggestion but unfortunately it was no help - no virus was detected. This one really has me scratching my head - all other applications work fine (including IE and Chrome) and FF previously worked.

Thanks
    What OS are you using?
    If you still have it installed, try this.
    Right-Click the icon and select "Run as" then re-enter your logon credentials, both name and pw.
    Do you "Believe"? Do you vote? Please Read:
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    DETAIL in your question promotes DETAIL in my answer.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    try opening a admin command prompt windows and typing "sfc/scannow" then enter. See if it find any bad system files to repair.
    Also check to see if you have adblock plus installed as it may be blocking the java that is needed for FF to display.
    Clive

All typing errors are my own work and subject to patents pending. Except errors by the spell checker. And that has its own patients.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Check Processes Tab

After rebooting, check the Processes Tab to see if Firefox is running a process before you have tried to start it. If it is, highlight and delete that process. If you have tried to start it, and it won't start, check to see if two or more processes are running. Stop them all, and try restarting again.

Every time I've had a problem getting Firefox to start, it has been one of those two variations.

Thanks
    You might want to locate your profile in appdata or application data within your user account, copy it, not move it, to a backup location and then totally uninstall Firefox and allow it to remove your user data.

Then reboot, install a fresh downloaded copy of Firefox 12.0 and install it. See if it works.

If not, it's not a corrupted profile. And if sfc/scannow doesn't work, maybe it's your video card? What video card are you using and by the way, what version of Windows are you using and what service pack under that version?
    Last edited by LilBambi; 2012-04-26 at 19:43.
    Fran Parker, AKA Bambi, Linux User #183283, Ubuntu User #11114, CNI Radio
    BambisMusings, Tumblr, Twitter, Malware Complaints - Stand Up and be Counted!
    I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which grant[s] a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents.
    --James Madison, 1794

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for all the advice everyone. Unfortunately, none of it worked - even after trying several times. I got so frustrated that I left it for a few days - yesterday evening I thought I would give it one more try and clicked on the FF icon and believe it or not it loaded!! So, now I am even more confused as I am not aware of anything that I did between the last time I tried and yesterday. However, it now works so a mere mortal like myself should just accept that and shut up!! Thanks again everyone.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Do you have multiple monitors, or use a laptop that you connect to a projector? One thing that happens to me is that FF will remember to open in the additional monitor, but when I run the laptop alone or switch from projector to just a setup with a secondary monitor, it sometimes gets confused. There's a trick using Alt-Space, Alt-M, and then moving or clicking Alt-left arrow, but sometimes it's easiest to just click the FF icon in the taskbar and then right-click and select New Window. (Then you go back to the taskbar, right-click the invisible one, and select Close).

This is all on Windows 7. Don't know what happens in other versions.

New Lounger
    Thanks

if FF process starts but never makes it to the screen, check your add-ons

I had a problem with Firefox not starting on my HP laptop while the same FF version always started on my self-built desktop. The problem went away when I disabled the Skype click-to-call add-on. Bottom line: you may want to disable your FF add-ons one at a time and see if one is the culprit.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    My first recommendation would be to upgrade to the latest version (I'm now running version 12).

I held onto Firefox 3.61 for a long time (didn't like 4 or 5); eventually bit the bullet and updated (to version 10, I believe).
    My FF startup problem "may" have gone away with the upgrade (haven't seen it recently). Some add-ons were lost
    (incompatible with the newer version).

When I've had the "FF won't start" problem occasionally on my laptop (Vista Home Premium 32 bit), I would:
    Open Task Manager, go to "Processes", highlight "firefox.exe", click on "End Process" and exit Task Manager.
    I have always been able to start Firefox immediately afterward (no reboot required).