Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

MSE & Malwarebytes

In the suggested 'Best Practices', you have advised against use of more than one Security software / firewall. It also recommends use of Malwarebytes.

For my W-7 system I use MSE as the only security software. Will installation of Malwarebytes create conflicts in the system or is it safe to use Malwarebytes alongside MSE?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Is it the paid version of Malwarebytes or the free one? The free one, there is no problem as it scans on demand only. I think I have also seen reports of using the paid one not causing issues, but I can't guarantee that.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

Venu (2012-04-12)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the advice. It is free version of Malwarebytes. Is it necessary to disable MSE while scanning with Malwarebytes? How to disable MSE temporarily?

Thanks
    Hi Venu and welcome to the Lounge!

There is no need to temporarily disable MSE when you scan with the free edition of Malwarebytes.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Deadeye81 For This Useful Post:

Venu (2012-04-12)

Thanks
    Venu, Welcome to the Lounge. Enjoy your stay, and come back often.

I have used the free version of Malwarebytes and scanned manually many times while running MSE without disabling. I also know of others that have both of these excellent apps running in real time and co-existing without problems.

Malwarebytes is more of an anti-maleware, anti-scareware, rather than a true AV. Perhaps that is why they play well together.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Medico For This Useful Post:

Venu (2012-04-12)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you Windows Secrets Lounge, ruirib, Deadeye81 & Ted Myers!

Thanks
    I use the pro version and also MSE and have never had any conflict with them running at the same time.
    "If You Are Reading This In English, Thank A VET"

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I too have MSE on W7 32 bit and malwarebytes paid for version running alongside and no problems at all so far.

Thanks
    The only issue I have run across with Scanning with Malwarebytes while MSE is active is that sometimes the Malwarebytes scan triggers detection of Malware by MSE as well. I just let MSE handle it and have not had any negative effects.

Jerry

Thanks
    Jerry, I don't ever remember having that happen to me.

Maybe you can add MSE to the ignore list in Malewarebytes.

Thanks
    Bany, I see on the infected systems I scan, not on my own. It mostly happens with an infected compressed file (.zip, ,rar, etc.). I suspect Malwarebytes decompresses them as part of the scan causing MSE to see it for the first time. Its not a big issue. I let MSE deal with it and it doesn't affect the Malwarebytes scan.

Jerry

Thanks
    Well JW, if you are really interested in finding out try the Malewarebytes forums..

I for one, have no idea how MWB handles compressed files..

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have been running MSE alone for some time, and doing weekly scans with both free Malawarebytes and free Spybot Search & Destroy. Susan Bradley recently suggested using the paid version of Malawarebytes, as several of you have suggested here. I purchased two licenses for my two computers and activated the realtime protection. The very next day my Firefox 14.0.1 froze up sometime while I was away from the computer. I had to reboot. Then, I started having problems with downloads and some dynamic content in Firefox (including Facebook comments not working). At one point, I tried to download a file. Firefox locked up. If I tried to exit, Firefox said it was waiting for user input, but there was nothing on the screen. If I waited long enough, I got a message that a script seemed to be stuck and do I want to continue.

As far as I know, the only change I made on my system was to activate Malawarebytes Realtime. I had not done any other installs or Windows updates in more than a week. Turning off Malawarebytes did not fix it. (I unchecked the load with Windows option, and rebooted.) I had to do a clean install of Firefox, and redownload all of the addons. This seems to have gotten me back to normal. Fortunately, with Firefox Sync this is not too painful. This makes me think that something in Firefox or perhaps one of my Firefox addons is conflicting with Malwarebytes or the combination of MSE and Malawarebytes. I am using Web of Trust, NoScript, AdBlock, Better Privacy, Roboform, and Internet Download Manager in Firefox.

Has anyone else had such problems? Do those using Malawarebytes have all the realtime checking engaged? Since when I download IDM takes over (great product!), and presumably both MSE and Malawarebytes scan the download, perhaps something is happening there. Or perhaps Malwarebytes checking web pages when I already have all those plugins plus the Firefox looking for bad pages is an issue? Thanks for any help you can provide.

Thanks
    Maybe this will help..
    If MWB blocks anything it should show a pop-up balloon and you can click on that to allow what is being blocked...
    I also have WOT running with MWB Pro and never had any conflicts..
    But, I'm using IE and am not familiar with Firefox and MWB working together...

I'm sure there are others here that probably can help you better then I.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the input, Banyarola. I never saw a ballon or any other message from Malawarebytes, and there was nothing in its quarantine list. I am just wondering if there might be some kind of conflict between however Malawarebytes links into Firefox to do its checking and how either Firefox or MSE or one of the addons does the same that causes them to lock up. When Firefox locked up as I was attempting to do the download, I could not do anything with it. I could not minimize it or move it to see if there might be a message hidden, for example. When I used Task Manager to end task, that is when it said the task was waiting for user input--and I have no idea what that was about since there were no messages visible. When I waited until I got the Firefox message that a script had been running a long time, and then I said to cancel, my download manager IDM suddedly popped up. That suggests to me that something was getting in front of the download manager that had not been there before. The fact that I had to do a clean reinstall (remove all user data and program and start with a new profile) suggests whatever conflict might have even damaged the code within Firefox or one of the addons.

We are generally told not to have two different malware programs running with realtime protection at the same time because they will likely interfere. People seem to think that Malawarebytes, however, is well behaved with any other malware program, specifically MSE. That is why I am stuck on this one.

Thanks again for the input.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast