Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Laptop With Second Monitor Attached-How To Display Windows On Monitor 2

My friend has Windows XP with SP3 on her laptop. She finds the laptop screen too small for her eyes, and has to squint to work with it.

I attached a larger second monitor and I can copy icons across from the laptop monitor to the larger monitor, but clicking icons on the larger monitor opens the relevant window on the small laptop screen.What do I need to do to make the relevant windows open on the larger screen, and how do I add Internet Explorer to the larger monitor?

Advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and regards, Roy
    OS Dual Boot Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit & Windows 7 Pro With SP1 64 bit. (Intel Core i7 2600K Processor LGA1155-Asus P867 Pro Motherboard-GTX550 Ti DirectCU Graphics Card-Memory 8GB)

Roy Whitethread

Thanks
    Generally if you close the cover on the laptop the OS will use the external monitor for everything.
    If you want to use both, go to the video driver setup from the Control Panel and change the external monitor to the primary monitor. Details for this will vary based on the laptop brand and video chip set it uses.
    Do you "Believe"? Do you vote? Please Read:
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    DETAIL in your question promotes DETAIL in my answer.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello RussB,

Closing the laptop cover didn't fix the problem. I went to Control Panel and opened Display, but the option to change the external monitor to the primary monitor was grayed out.

Do you have any other ideas?

Regards, Roy
    OS Dual Boot Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit & Windows 7 Pro With SP1 64 bit. (Intel Core i7 2600K Processor LGA1155-Asus P867 Pro Motherboard-GTX550 Ti DirectCU Graphics Card-Memory 8GB)

Roy Whitethread

Thanks
    What is the make and model number of the laptop? There usually a hotkey combination that will toggle the display to LCD, both, and external monitor when hit. Its normally an Fn key plus one of the Function keys. Look for an Fn key and the icons on the function keys.

Jerry

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    I managed to solve the problem of changing the external monitor to the primary monitor using the S3 settings that apply to the graphics card.(I had tried this several times before it finally worked).

Thanks for the replies.

Best regards, Roy

Roy Whitethread