New Lounger
    Thanks

Adding shared printer to windows 7 PC

I have an HP Deskjet 5850 Printer sitting on an XP system which I share through other windows 7 PCs in the house.
    Yesterday my daughter wanted to share it with her new HP 64bit windows 7 laptop.
    I went to add the printer it went off to add the printer via windows update came back and said it couldn't find the drivers so could I point the file at the drivers. Well no as I couldn't find them on the web.
    I found that HP suggest adding it as a 5600 Deskjet but only seem to have an exe that add the whole thing as a usb printer so I did that printed fine directly attached. (Note i did try adding \\computername\printername but it couldn't find the printer!)
    So now to add the printer thinking the drivers would be added and so I could add the printer but it wouldn't let me past the add the drivers. I've wasted hours on this can anyone suggest how to do this.

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    1. How are you trying to add printer on the laptop? Did you choose network and not local?

2. On the laptop, are you sharing the printer with the correct Workgroup name?

Rich

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes its in the same workgroup
    and added via network as it picked up the printer

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Try this:

1. On your daughter's laptop, install the printer as a local printer (like you did before). Check that it works and plug the device back into your XP machine.
    2. Back on your daughter's laptop, open the printers folder and right-click the printer. Select Properties.
    3. Click the Ports tab. You'll see that USB is selected. Change it to LPT1 and "OK" your way out.
    4. Open a Command Prompt and type the following command:

net use LPT1 \\<hostcomputername>\<printersharename> /persistent: yes

(The persistent switch is to make it "sticky", so you don't have to type it out each time.)

HTH
    Last edited by tonyl; 2012-04-16 at 11:28.