4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Access to server by IP address instead of domain name?

I recently moved my client's web site to a new host. I'm now trying to fulfill a request to move the client's email from the old host to the new one.

I've found descriptions of how to do this using IMAP:

1. Configure a client to communicate with the old server using IMAP.

2. Synchronize the client with the old server.

3. Configure the client to communicate with the new server using IMAP.

4. Move the contents of the client's inbox for the old server to the client's inbox for the new server.

5. Synchronize the client with the new server.

I'm stymied at step 1 because the old server no longer has a domain name. When I try to configure the account using the IP address (username@nnn.nnn.nnn.nnn) I just get error messages.

I initially thought this was a limitation of my mail client (Thunderbird), but I've seen some stuff on the web which implies that it's a limitation of email architecture.

I've got two questions.

First, would a different mail client work? If so, which one should I try?

Second, could I accomplish the move by assigning a temporary domain name to the old host, so that I won't have to use the IP address?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    The email address should be the same. Did the email server change names? If it did, use the IP but for the server, no the email account.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    ruirib, I'm sorry, I don't understand your response at all. I'll interpolate my questions into what you wrote.

The email address should be the same. Did the email server change names?
    It didn't "change" names. The domain name which was formerly assigned to the old server is now assigned to the new one. The old one is no longer in service, and so has no domain name. As I said, I could assign a different domain name server to it if that will make the email transfer easier, but at this point it's not clear whether that would solve the problem or simply create a new one.

If it did, use the IP but for the server, no the email account.
    Right now I don't have access to the computer where I'm doing this work, so I'm writing from memory. As I recall, Thunderbird has a single field for specifying the account to be configured. It expects me to enter "name@domain.tld." I entered "name@nnn.nnn.nnn.nnn" instead and got errors instead of results. In that context, it isn't clear how I could "use the IP but for the server, no[t] the email account." Can you clarify?

I've looked for Thunderbird configuration instructions on the web, and I found images of a bunch of detailed dialogs that my Thunderbird hasn't shown me. That suggests to me that the dialog I've been trying to use is just a wizard, and there's a more detailed configuration dialog that will let me do what I want, if I can only find it. The documentation hasn't been much help, though.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    To configure an email account you specify email address / password and email server (in some servers it's username/password and email server). The email server recognizes email addresses, regardless of it being the recognized email server for that domain or not. So, to access the email account, you need to use the same details as before (email address, password) and just change the server. Instead of using say mail.domain.tld for the server, just use the server IP.