New Lounger
    Thanks

Novice needs help making a database

Hello, I am a database novice. I am a Mechanic and I want to make a database to keep track of my work, I would like all the help I can get to make this database. Here is what I need to do with database. I would like it to be three input screens, the first screen would have the fields..Date, W.O#, Shop#(which is a number assigned to a vehicle), Year of vehicle, Mileage, Model, Engine, and Color. The second screen would need a field for me to input the Symptoms( What is wrong with vehicle). The Third screen would need the fields Job Code 1 and Job Code 2 and a space for me to input what I did, on this screen I would need 10 of these fields each. I know how to make a combobox using the wizard so that I can make a drop down for Job code 1 and Job Code 2, where I can see the Job Code and Description and only have the code show up, what I need for Job Code 2 is after picking the code I would need the Description to auto populate next to it then next to that I can input what I did. for example. Job Code 1 is "005"(Diagnose) Job Code 2 is "001"( A/C, Heat, Vent ) I would want the next Textbox to have "A/C, Heat, Vent"(the description) auto populate, then next to that I would need another Text box for for me to say for example "Found Leak in A/C compressor". I found a Database thru Access but it want picture and sale cost buy cost and all I want to do is keep track of what I do I work at the Houston Police Department and sometime I get ask about a Car I worked on 2 months ago, which is why I want to create this database, Just bought this laptop have Access 2010 now just need the database. thanks in advance for all the help John

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    That;'s a very big job.
    I suggest you start with a spreadsheet, which is much like a database. You can make a new one every month or so to stop them being too large.

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the suggestion but that would have me inputting a lot of the same data over and over again not to mention looking up the codes for each job and the time for each job, and I only have a set time to complete one job then go to the next one. I also would need a way of looking up what I did to a car when asked or if I think I have worked on it before encase the part is under warranty or whatever...

Thanks John

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Your requirements are really for a workshop database and it's not a simple task. It would probably take several weeks full time to come up with a fully functioning system and I suspect you don't have the ability, or the money to pay someone to do it. A search returns a few commercial offerings.

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    If you have the time and inclination, I'd recommend Filemaker Pro. You can create your displays to your satisfaction as you build your database. If you've already got this information in a spreadsheet, you can just drag the spread sheet onto Filemaker and it'll create the fields for you. It's an awesome product, but since you're sitting at the beginning of the learning curve anyway, it's worth a look.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks I will look at that program.

John