ril

Multiple ISP's with Outlook

I use multiple ISP's, and each one has it's own SMTP server (which cannot be accessed from other ISP's).

Outlook 2000 isn't smart enough to know which ISP I am logged onto to determine which SMTP server to use. Instead of associating an SMTP server with an DUN connection, it associates it with an email Account, which is silly. (It should associate the SMTP server with the DUN connectoid.)

Does anyone know how to quickly change the SMTP server for an Outlook account back and forth between multiple server names, without going though Tools->Accounts->etc. ?

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Multiple ISP's with Outlook

tools > accounts means you are using IMO mode. that means you have send using.

outlook does have a way to set accounts to the DUN. Not sure the exact steps since i use corp mode, but i do know you probably will want to use the warn before switching dialup option. the smtp server is still assoc. with the address, but dun is assoc with the acct as well.

anyway, if you've tried it and it doesn't work like you want (i hated it, send on any connection is better), you can create several accounts, one for each mail address using each smtp server. you just need to remember to use send using and choose hte right account.

(i know a guy who does it for about 16 accounts. he uses 4 servers and has 4 addresses set for each server. i think he's nuts [img]/w3timages/icons/laugh.gif[/img])

ril

> outlook does have a way to set accounts to the DUN

But from what I can tell, the DUN is not tied to an SMTP server, so it doesn't help. Am I wrong?

> you can create several accounts...

That's how I do it now, but if I have a bunch of outgoing messages for acct A, and am logged into acct B, they don't get sent. I then have to readdress all the emails. Ugh.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

when you set up the acct, you choose the specific dun or to use any. if you choose a specific one, it'll hang up and dial the other.

sounds like your smtp servers require the email to match. or we're not following each other. [img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img]

For acct A have two entries, one using smtp A, one using smtp b. if needed, use email A as a reply to address and email B as the from address. i understand earthlink has begun verifying address, so using a reply to is necessary.

ril

> when you set up the acct, you choose the specific dun or to use any. if you choose a specific one, it'll hang up and dial the other.

Exactly. And this is what I don't want Outlook to do. I just want it to use the current DUN connection to send the mail.

> sounds like your smtp servers require the email to match. or we're not following each other.

We're sort of following each other! [img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img][img]/w3timages/icons/laugh.gif[/img]
    The SMTP servers don't need the email to match, but Outlook ties the SMTP server to the account under which the email was created, instead of which DUN connection is active. I don't care which SMTP server processes the outgoing mail... I just want to send it on its merry way![img]/w3timages/icons/grin.gif[/img]

> For acct A have two entries, one using smtp A, one using smtp B...

That's what I do now, but what a royal painola. Especially when writing drafts and sending them later, not knowing which connection will be active when I want to do the actual send.

> i understand earthlink has begun verifying address, so using a reply to is necessary

I don't use them, but I don't think so. As long as you are logged into an Earthlink account, I think it will allow you to transmit thru their SMTP servers. But if you are logged in via a different ISP, it won't let you.

What I want to be able to do is say: "Hey, I'm logged onto the internet via a DUN connection... Outlook, just please send my email via the SMTP server applicable to this DUN connection."

I think the only way to accomplish this (correct me if I'm wrong) is to edit the SMTP field for each Outlook email account on the fly. That requires drilling down thru menus and dialog boxes for each email account. I would like to avoid all that clicking around.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

i don't use IMO, so you're half on your own. it might be in tools > accounts. look for a connection tab. There should be and option where you choose lan, existing phoneline or ie's dialer/new dun. lan will work, but it'll never hang up. in ie's dialer you should have the option of any available.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

i missed this line before
    <hr>What I want to be able to do is say: "Hey, I'm logged onto the internet via a DUN connection... Outlook, just please send my email via the SMTP server applicable to this DUN connection." <hr>

you can't set a smtp server for the dun and tell outlook to send using that smtp server when using that dun.

outlook will use the smtp for the mail acct, but can use any dial up to connect to the smtp, if the smtp server premits that type of access. some do, some don't (antispam measure)

if the smtp server for the mail acct allows you to use it when not using their dialup, it'll work with the any connection option. but if the isp requires you to be logged on to them to send using their server, it won't work.

(other smtp servers, like yahoo for example, require pop before smtp, which outlook doesn't do.)

ril

We're on the same page now![img]/w3timages/icons/clever.gif[/img]

Everything you said is correct, so what I want to be able to do is to be able to quickly switch the SMTP server associated with an Outlook account.

Is the SMTP server name contained in a variable that can be accessed through a macro?

Super Moderator
    Thanks

I am using Outlook 2000, internet version and have 5 different ISP email addresses including my own domain. I can receive any mail from any one of them, and reply to any one of them. I am currently us cable access, but at one time I used several different paid and free dial ups. I still use some the free email address's.
    The "New" email will be sent from my 'Default' address but all replies and forwards are sent from the received address but will be using the current ISP outgoing server.

When using several ISP's for internet access, one MUST change the outgoing server to what ever ISP you are using. All out going email will always use the outgoing server of the ISP that you are logged into.

This has ALWAYS been this way, to help prevent spamming.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Not only are we both now on the same page, we're also cookin' with gas. [img]/w3timages/icons/laugh.gif[/img]
    <hr>Is the SMTP server name contained in a variable that can be accessed through a macro? <hr>
    Yes and no. it's a registry entry, so if you know how from a macro you can, but why not just run the reg manually? If you know which you want before you open outlook, i'd go the scripting route. have the script (or batch file) change the reg entry and then load outlook, all from one shortcut.

Before you get too excited 2 possible problems to overcome. (The settings might be different using IMO, the following is my experience using corp.)
    First is the entry is in hex format. that should be easy to work with, export the key for each smtp server and get the correct hex from that to build the reg files.
    Second problem might require my suggestion of running the reg then opening to get around. Outlook tends to load a lot of settings into memory when it loads. The smtp server might be one of those settings. if so, changes only take affect when outlook is closed and reopened.

Keys are stored under messaging subsystem. search for a binary value named "smtp server" should be under this:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftWindows Messaging Subsystem.

ileacy

One other gotcha. When you reply to a message it is sent to/via the same account that delivered it.

I frequently have to go into Outbox. Edit Properties to send via the current default. And then, resend the message.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

are you using corp mode? internet mode has send using, you can change the account on the fly as you compose the reply. or doesn't that work once you've hit send?

in corp, as long as you aren't using exchange server, you can open the message and change the from field.

ileacy

Yep. Know about that, but, I can easily loose track of where something has come from. If I remember to hit the dropdown, no problem. If I don't remember, again, no big problem, just go to Outbox and fix it.

As I said, it's a gotcha that people who switch between ISPs should be aware of.

ril

Boy... all this could be avoided if Outlook 2000 had simple macro-recording capability.. just simulate a few keystrokes to get the job done.[img]/w3timages/icons/hairy.gif[/img]

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

even if it did, not everything is recordable. i suspect this would be one of those that wasn't. i don't even think the object model exposes the smtp server setting although to be honest, i never really looked for it. (why don't you ask in the word forum if the macro recorder is a good thing [img]/w3timages/icons/grin.gif[/img])

creating a reg file is very easy and as long as outlook accepts the change while open, is better than anything you could hope for. you can even store the files in your mailbox folder and run from there, as long as you don't have the security patch installed. with ol2000, a shortcut can be on the outlook bar or on a toolbar button even.